Daily Devotional for March 22, 2015

Philippians 3:12-14
I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

On January 15, 2015, climbers Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson reached the summit of The Dawn Wall of El Capitan in Yosemite National Park.  At an elevation of 3,000 feet, this smooth sheer granite mountainside is considered to be the most difficult free climb in the world.  Somewhere around 70 people greeted the climbers atop the summit and celebrated with champagne.

This was not the first time these two had attempted the climb.  In 2010, Jorgeson broke his ankle early in an ascent and could not continue...while Caldwell got to the most difficult pitch and could not finish.  The two climbers subsequently worked on the areas of the mountain that gave them the most trouble…before attempting the full climb again in December 2014.

I watched footage of the climb on television news reports...and even from the safety of my own home, I sometimes felt like I could not “look down”. There was coverage of the men lounging in "tents" that were somehow tethered to the side of the mountain.  I marveled at how calmly they lay reading, texting, eating...as if they were perfectly secure on level ground.

Our journey as Christians is something like the free climb of El Capitan's Dawn Wall...fraught with potential for danger and disaster, yet so worth the struggle.  It is reported that these climbers…Caldwell in particular…were focused on accomplishing this ascent with something akin to single-minded obsession.  They “kept their eye on the goal” and trusted in the safety measures they had set in place – and the coaching and encouragement from each other, family members and friends – and they forged onward and upward.  And this is what we are called to do with Christ.

There will be days when we will be tempted to “look down”…there will be “injuries” and setbacks along the way.  But if we stay focused…if we keep on looking toward heaven and working toward the goal of standing before Jesus someday in celebration of a “good climb”…we will get there.  God will make it so.

Don’t throw in the towel.  Don’t let “life” beat you down and discourage you to the point that you cannot continue the “climb” with Christ.  Hear God’s voice encouraging you to reach higher…to dig deeper…to stick with Him for the long haul.  Feel His hands supporting you in safety…His arms surrounding you in love…His spirit filling your heart.  Know that you can do this…that with God, all things truly are possible.  Keep looking upward toward Heaven and working toward the goal that God has set for you in Jesus.  Now…don’t you have some climbing to do?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: