Daily Devotional for March 21, 2015

Philippians 3:7-11
But Christ has shown me that what I once thought was valuable is worthless. Nothing is as wonderful as knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. I have given up everything else and count it all as garbage. All I want is Christ and to know that I belong to him.

I could not make myself acceptable to God by obeying the Law of Moses. God accepted me simply because of my faith in Christ. All I want is to know Christ and the power that raised him to life. I want to suffer and die as he did, so that somehow I also may be raised to life.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I was sitting in the parking lot after attending a funeral, and I spotted a friend from church walking to her car.  I called to her and asked if she would like to ride with me to the cemetery.  She gladly accepted my offer, and as she got in the car, she said, “I wish I was dressed properly.”  She had come to the service directly from her job as a nurse, and she was wearing her white lab coat.  I assured her that she looked fine…that nobody would give her attire a second thought – other than to notice that she took time out of her busy day to attend this service!

Here’s the thing…there are times when it is important to be “prim and proper”…when wearing the right outfit is critical.  And there are times when it is simply most important that you show up!  I’ve had to make a mad dash to the Emergency Department with a loved one in the wee hours of the morning when I looked scary enough to frighten grown men!  But there was no way I was going to say to those in need or the EMTs, “Hang on a few minutes while I put on some makeup and fluff up my hair!”  I seriously doubt that very many people would pause to check their outfit in the mirror if they found themselves in a burning building! It’s all a matter of priorities!

Too often, we get caught up in what we think will “look pretty” to God…and we miss Him completely.  The moment comes and goes…we waste the connection and lose out on a blessing.  We get so mired in how many Bible verses we can quote, who killed who in the Old Testament and what sacrifices were required to atone…we worry about whether we gave enough money, sat on enough committees, said enough prayers, and participated in enough worship activities…and we are completely deaf and dumb to Jesus calling to us…”Hey…c’mon over here and let Me love on you!”

Do not misunderstand me…I believe that Christian rituals are important.  I believe in the sanctity of Holy Communion and only wish that more people fully understood its significance and the profound sacredness of this experience.  I also believe in the holiness of God’s word…all of it!  But if we don’t fully understand the lineage of all of the kings or have a firm grasp on all of the names of the leaders of this battle or that one, yet we truly know Jesus and strive to follow Him…I would say that we have our values in proper alignment.  If we are in fellowship with Jesus and understand WHY He came to earth for us and the full extent of what He accomplished on our behalf…THIS is what matters the most!  The rest will surely fall into place.

I am a “Field of Dreams” Christian…I believe in the “If you build it, they will come” philosophy.  In other words, when we focus on Jesus…when we fully commit to Him and follow His teachings, I believe all of the rest will follow – the desire to study God’s word in depth…the yearning to fellowship with other believers…the conviction to give of our “time, talents and money” to the church…and a craving for time in His presence. 

Jesus doesn’t care if we are wearing a lab coat or our “Sunday best”!  He just wants US!  And I want Him, as well.  What about you?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: