Daily Devotional for March 4, 2015

John 17:1-5
When Jesus had finished saying all these things he looked up to heaven and said, “Father, the time has come. Reveal the glory of your Son so that he can give the glory back to you.  For you have given him authority over every man and woman in all the earth. He gives eternal life to each one you have given him. And this is the way to have eternal life—by knowing you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth! I brought glory to you here on earth by doing everything you told me to. And now, Father, reveal my glory as I stand in your presence, the glory we shared before the world began.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

My Mam-ma Polly used to say, “I don’t know why I’m living so long.”  I would remind her that God had work for her to do – and when that work was finished, He would have her “room” ready.  We agreed that her “purpose” might not be clear a lot of the time…especially as her physical body declined and she lost her ability to speak.  But she could still smile…she could still pray…she could demonstrate a spirit of courage, determination, and perseverance.  She could still represent God to countless people in her midst…and she did so to her dying breath.

As I look back through prayer journals, I see numerous entries where I asked God, “Can’t she come Home yet?”  I always added that I wanted HIS will in this…not mine.  But haven’t you known of people and situations where you asked God, “Why are they still here?  What is the point of their suffering and hardship?”  And in this passage, we are able to get a handle on the answer.

God sends each of us to earth for a purpose…much like He sent Jesus.  When our work on His behalf is done, He will call us Home.  If we have given our heart to Jesus, this will mean Eternity in Heaven.  Meanwhile, God is with us.  We are His vessels on earth for sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ – for demonstrating love, grace, kindness, mercy, forgiveness, compassion, acceptance, humility, courage and encouragement…and so much more.

Until God determines that our “work” is done…that we have fulfilled our purpose…He will keep us here.  I also believe that God gives unbelievers every chance to turn to Jesus and fulfill their purpose…that He is present and patient with ALL of us…to a point.  Let’s be honest…no one has ever suffered more on this earth than Jesus did. Understanding that God is with us through everything – and that He has a perfect plan and timetable for each of us – has helped me to answer the question, “Why is he/she living so long – or suffering so much?”  Understand that God does not cause the suffering and hardships…but He sometimes allows them for a greater outcome…and He NEVER leaves us – not even for a single minute.

Search your heart this day and see if you understand your purpose…the “What on earth am I hear for?” question.  Ask yourself, “Am I aware of God’s presence in my life in every circumstance…and am I busy doing the work He designed for me?”  When we learn to surrender to God’s “rhythms and reasons”, we truly begin to give the glory back to Him – and to prepare for our Heavenly destination. Do you feel God’s presence today?  Are you patiently “doing the work” He has set out for you?  Isn’t it time you did?

   
©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: