Daily Devotional for November 10, 2016

Philippians 2:1-4
If you’ve gotten anything at all out of following Christ, if his love has made any difference in your life, if being in a community of the Spirit means anything to you, if you have a heart, if you care— then do me a favor: Agree with each other, love each other, be deep-spirited friends. Don’t push your way to the front; don’t sweet-talk your way to the top. Put yourself aside, and help others get ahead. Don’t be obsessed with getting your own advantage. Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

Yesterday, I got a shipment of greeting cards in the mail.  Greg was watching me sort through them, and I noted that “I seem to send a lot of sympathy cards these days.”  Indeed, we are in a season where a lot of our friends and family members are leaving for heaven…parents and grandparents of our friends…contemporaries of our own parents…and yes, even friends close to our age.

Sending cards is my “thing.”  I got it from my mother…and as I sift through boxes of old mementos, I see that it was also a big deal with my grandmothers.  Hand-written notes are quickly becoming a lost art.  Everything seems to be done by e-mail and text these days. But I have a couple of boxes full of notes and cards I have saved over the years that have special meaning.  Occasionally, I will read through them…and I am always encouraged and blessed by what I find there.

My thoughts on greeting cards and the people who send them made me think of the people who have had a strong, positive influence on my life.  I recalled several who have always been there to pull me up by the bootstraps when I needed it…and stand me upright when I began to sink and fall in discouragement.  I thought of people who helped me through some really dark times…women AND men who were there to give me just the right word when I was concerned about an issue…or deeply sad over circumstances beyond my control.

I thought of people who have truly cared…who put their own agendas and calendars aside to be with me when I needed them…who lent a helping hand, and then some…who had a heart for me and my loved ones – and more importantly, for Jesus.  THESE are my role models…these "Philippians 2:1-4 Christians" who forget themselves, remember Jesus – and reach out to others in His name.

Jesus’ love HAS made a difference in my life…and being a member of the community of the Spirit IS important to me. I want to be like Jesus and those who have modeled His love, grace, compassion, forgiveness, mercy and kindness in my life and those of others around me.  I want to be known as someone who has a heart and truly cares about ALL of God’s children. I want to be a deep-spirited friend to others.

I am asking God to equip me for this mission, as He has done for so many who have influenced my life.  Will this be your prayer, as well?  Are you willing to give up any selfish desires and attitudes…to operate in humility and forego the instinct to first ask, “What’s in this for me?”  Are you ready to go “all in” for Jesus and be His hands and feet to each and every person you meet?  Don’t you think it’s time you were?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: