Daily Devotional for November 28, 2016

1 Chronicles 29:1-5    
David told the crowd: God chose my son Solomon to build the temple, but Solomon is young and has no experience. This is not just any building—this is the temple for the Lord God! That’s why I have done my best to get everything Solomon will need to build it—gold, silver, bronze, iron, wood, onyx, turquoise, colored gems, all kinds of precious stones, and marble.

Besides doing all that, I have promised to give part of my own gold and silver as a way of showing my love for God’s temple. Almost one hundred twenty tons of my finest gold and over two hundred fifty tons of my silver will be used to decorate its walls and to make the gold and silver objects. Now, who else will show their dedication to the Lord by giving gifts for building his temple?

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Last year, several events culminated in the lack of a leader for our church’s annual children’s Christmas program.  I told our Director of Music that I would gladly help…but I could not take on the role of leader, because of my mother’s illness.  If necessary, I wanted to be able to step aside at a moment’s notice - and not leave the children in limbo.  So my friend, Chris, who already leads the youth choir, agreed to take charge of this program. Chris and I make a pretty good team…and since I knew most of the children from Sunday school, my role as assistant was the perfect fit.

As time approached to begin practices this year, Chris and I once again agreed to handle the Christmas program.  However, shortly before the first rehearsal, Chris’s dad passed away. I let her know that I was willing to do more and “cover” for her, if needed. But Chris never missed a beat.  She says that having this program to command her focus has been helpful. A woman in our church who has experience with acting and public speaking stepped up to work with our children who have speaking parts. Once again, we are all working as a team to produce a program that is going to bless everyone involved. We are using our talents and abilities to give back to God.

In 1 Chronicles 29:1-5, David is telling the people of Israel that he has done his part to build this temple to glorify God.  Now he is asking them to do theirs by giving what they can.  Here is the important thing to note…David was rich, and plenty able to provide the finest gold and silver for decoration of the temple. A few others might have been equally rich…but many were not wealthy at all. Still, each one had something that he/she could contribute.  And this is the point for us.

Your greatest gift to God may not be money. It may not even be time or talent.  Your gift may be to pray for others and encourage them.  It may be to make phone calls, work in the kitchen, visit shut-ins, or text friends to ask, “How are you doing today?”  The point is that we ALL have SOMETHING to give to glorify God.  We just have to figure out what it is…and then start giving!

Last night at our children’s program practice, Timmy got out of his seat, came to me and gave me a big hug.  Later, my cousin messaged me to say that her little boy, Owen, had looked at a Christmas shirt I made him and said, “Debbie gives good stuff!”  These are two seven-year-olds who give some pretty good stuff themselves! And if little children can give what they are able to make life better for someone else and glorify God, don’t you think we ought to be able to do this?

Are you giving what you can – when and where you are able?  In this season of “Black Friday” and “Cyber Monday” - and picking out the perfect gift for Aunt Sue or that special someone in your life - shouldn’t we pause and consider our gifts to God?  After all, He gave US the perfect Gift in the form of His Son, Jesus Christ!

Are you doing your part…and giving “good stuff” for the glory of God?  Isn’t this the perfect time to begin?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: