Daily Devotional for November 17, 2016


Romans 12:19-21
Dear friends, never avenge yourselves. Leave that to God, for he has said that he will repay those who deserve it. Don’t take the law into your own hands. Instead, feed your enemy if he is hungry. If he is thirsty give him something to drink and you will be “heaping coals of fire on his head.” In other words, he will feel ashamed of himself for what he has done to you. Don’t let evil get the upper hand, but conquer evil by doing good.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

I’ve shared this story before, but when my siblings and I were little, my mother was nursing this pitiful magnolia tree sprout in our yard.  It must have been about 2½ feet tall and was almost laughable as a “tree.”  One day, the neighborhood kids and I were playing a little game of “Jack Jump Over the Candlestick” and hurdling this “tree.”  Let’s just say that my attempt was less than successful…and the top of the tree snapped off.

I knew I was in terrible trouble, so I did what any quick-thinking seven-or-eight-year-old would do…I blamed my little brother.  I can still see my mother – absolutely furious over this broken tree – switching my brother all the way into the house.  I can hear him crying.  I can feel the mixture of angst that he was being punished – and relief that I was not.  And this incident haunts me even today.

My brother did not retaliate toward me.  And years later when I begged his forgiveness once again, he laughed and assured me that there were no hard feelings.  Still, I cannot tell you how ashamed I am of that incident – and others, I’m sure, where I blamed him to save my own hide.

To be sure, we did our share of fighting as siblings.  I still remember the day that my brother hit me in the front yard, and my dad stood in the doorway and said, “Hit him back!”  I burst into tears, looked at my brother, and said, “I can’t!”

Today, the magnolia tree towers several stories high into the sky in the corner of my mother’s front yard. I have to say, I have a love-hate relationship with that tree!  It reminds me of a time when I behaved badly, and my brother graciously did not seek revenge.  The other incident reminds me that I had an opportunity to seek retribution for an offense…and I could not bring myself to do it.  Whatever the reason, I am truly grateful.  I don’t have to live with the guilt and shame of that day!

A lot of us are fighting battles that are not ours.  We are trying to “make them pay” (whoever “them” is) for something that offended or upset us.  Or maybe we are on the other end…we have said or done something we shouldn’t…and we’re pretty well waiting for “the shoe to fall” as we receive retribution. Here’s the thing…we need to let go and allow God to work…because He can, and He will – and in a far better manner than we ever imagined.

God is calling us to “go high”…to treat others as we wish to be treated and to offer others the love, grace, mercy, forgiveness, kindness and compassion that He gives to us every minute of the day.  We are called to feed the “hungry and thirsty”…to “heap coals of kindness” upon the heads of those who have mistreated us.  Maybe they will feel shame and remorse…and maybe not.  Either way, it won’t matter, because our response will please God…and He will make the difference – for us AND the other guy. Are you ready to let Him?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: