Daily Devotional for November 19, 2016

Romans 13:1-7
Obey the rulers who have authority over you. Only God can give authority to anyone, and he puts these rulers in their places of power. People who oppose the authorities are opposing what God has done, and they will be punished. Rulers are a threat to evil people, not to good people. There is no need to be afraid of the authorities. Just do right, and they will praise you for it. After all, they are God’s servants, and it is their duty to help you.

If you do something wrong, you ought to be afraid, because these rulers have the right to punish you. They are God’s servants who punish criminals to show how angry God is. But you should obey the rulers because you know it is the right thing to do, and not just because of God’s anger.

You must also pay your taxes. The authorities are God’s servants, and it is their duty to take care of these matters. Pay all that you owe, whether it is taxes and fees or respect and honor.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I hope you will give me the courtesy of reading this entire message.  I did not want to write about this scripture passage.  It showed up in my outline, and frankly, I skipped it yesterday.  I read the words and said, “I hear You, LORD…but I just can’t do it.”  I understand that you may feel differently, and that is the beauty of a democratic republic…we are free to make our own choices.

I will tell you…this president-elect and the people he is tapping to assist him in leading our country scare me half to death!  It is my right to say this…although I will never resort to name calling or disrespectful words and actions.  Many did not afford President Obama respect and kindness. People who are supposed to be “Christian” friends…people I’ve known and loved all of my life…have called our current president every name in the book – and then some – and spoken terribly about him for the last eight years.  While I do not dare to judge, I feel that their words and actions have not been those of a person who would cause me want to follow Jesus, if this is how His disciples behave. But I do not believe that Jesus truly condones such behavior…and He must hang His head in disappointment quite often!

I’ve thought a lot about the election in the last two weeks…and I pondered these verses in Romans, as well.  I asked God NOT to make me write on them…and then I asked, “But why did you place them before me?”  Here’s what I feel that God is saying to me.  I believe this is a test of my faith. I feel that God is saying, “You know that I have told you to respect your government and its leaders.  I know that you are not comfortable with the incoming administration.  But do you trust Me?  Do you have enough faith to follow Me and do this hard thing…and believe that I will handle your worries and fears?”

There have been plenty of elected officials for whom I did not vote.  I have been disappointed more than once politically, and I bet you have, too.  I have always tried to be respectful and take the high road…even when others were not as kind in turn.  But I have to tell you, this one is really hard, because I have seen behavior and talk from this man and his “team” that I cannot help but believe troubles God terribly.  So I have to conclude that God is testing us…and when the day comes (and it will) when YOUR candidates are not elected, He will be watching to see if YOU listen to Him and show respect, obey the laws, pay your taxes, and behave as a good citizen.  I also am praying that the president-elect and his administration will take Paul’s words to the Romans to heart and take their roles as God’s servants (and ours) seriously.

Meanwhile…we have all got to figure out how to get along, regardless of who we support and/or endorse politically.  And I think this begins with all of us getting quiet and ceasing the hand-wringing for a while. I feel God calling for us to be still and listen for His voice…to allow Him room to work, and to trust His plans - even if we don’t see how they will possibly be good for any of us.

My mother had two sayings that are etched into my memory…”Two wrongs don’t make a right,” and “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything.”  Perhaps it’s time we brought these back and put them in to some heavy-duty practice, as we trust God to make a way where we cannot see one!  I’ll go first…will you join me?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: