Daily Devotional for November 16, 2016

Romans 12:17-18
Never pay back evil for evil. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honest clear through. Don’t quarrel with anyone. Be at peace with everyone, just as much as possible.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Without going into details that might be hurtful to some, I will tell you that I have seen the results of paybacks…and they were not pretty.  Some furthered the hurt and anger…while others were, quite literally, lethal.  Retaliation and revenge do not serve us well.

I will be the first to admit that there are times when I have a hard time holding my tongue…and times when I truly am unsuccessful. I have “set a few people straight”…or tried.  Did it help?  I don’t know.  Sometimes, I think it just widened the divide between us.  In some cases, that might not seem like a big deal.  Who cares of you never speak to that acquaintance again or not?  So what if you go separate ways?

It is one thing to distance yourself from evil…to put space between you and people who cause you angst or disrupt your life.  But when we continue to churn internally over this…or to harbor ill feelings in our heart, this goes against everything Jesus has taught us.

I had an unsettling experience a few years ago with some people who were supposed to be Christian disciples. Ugly things were said that I felt did not represent the love of Christ for all of His people. Sadly, things got pretty heated.  I have had a hard time forgiving some of those involved in this situation. However, I realized that if I wanted to be like Jesus, I had to try to forgive and treat them as I wished to be treated. So, when I see one of the people involved, I smile and speak to them. More than once, the person has adopted the “duck and run” response.

This is okay…I’ve done my part.  Perhaps they feel guilty over how they behaved…or ashamed to receive grace and mercy after acting so unkindly. The best part for me is the peace that I feel because of MY reaction and response.  I know that God does not sanction holding grudges…and I try to let go of these as quickly as possible.

There is so much discourse in our country right now. People on both sides of many issues want to make “the other side” pay…to inflict pain and retribution…to prove that this one or that is right – and the others are wrong.  Please take time to prayerfully consider this message from Romans 12 today.  Be at peace with everyone, as much as possible.  Smile and walk away with confidence that you operated as Jesus commands…and offered His grace and mercy – even when you didn’t feel like doing so!

Let others see you as someone who operates in the love of Jesus Christ…not a person who says one thing and does another. Treat others as you wish to be treated…even those who appear to operate in evil talk and action.  Live in a way that brings no regrets or shame.  Learn to make a difference rather than a point.  Let go…and let God have control!  These are often difficult results to achieve…but we CAN do this! This is my goal…is it yours?


©2016 Debbie Robus 

No comments: