Daily Devotional for November 29, 2016

1 Chronicles 29:10-20
Then, in front of everyone, David sang praises to the Lord:

I praise you forever, Lord! You are the God our ancestor Jacob worshiped. Your power is great, and your glory is seen everywhere in heaven and on earth. You are king of the entire world, and you rule with strength and power. You make people rich and powerful and famous. We thank you, our God, and praise you.

But why should we be happy that we have given you these gifts? They belong to you, and we have only given back what is already yours. We are only foreigners living here on earth for a while, just as our ancestors were. And we will soon be gone, like a shadow that suddenly disappears.

Our Lord God, we have brought all these things for building a temple to honor you. They belong to you, and you gave them to us. But we are happy, because everyone has voluntarily given you these things. You know what is in everyone’s heart, and you are pleased when people are honest. Always make us eager to give, and help us be faithful to you, just as our ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob faithfully worshiped you. And give Solomon the desire to completely obey your laws and teachings, and the desire to build the temple for which I have provided these gifts.

David then said to the people, “Now it’s your turn to praise the Lord, the God your ancestors worshiped!” So everyone praised the Lord, and they bowed down to honor him and David their king.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I’m in all-out decorating mode this week.  The children and I started Sunday afternoon, and I continued yesterday.  All semblance of “fall” has given way to Christmas, and a magical holiday wonderland is emerging.

I admit…I’m a big kid when it comes to Christmas, and I overdo it with the decorations.  But when I see the looks on the children’s faces, every single ornament, snowman and holly sprig is worth it. As they get older, the children are beginning to appreciate the dozens of nativity scenes I display in our piano room…and the different ornaments on the tree that have sentimental significance.  And of course, they love “their” tree, the lights, and the singing reindeer!

It is a LOT of work to put this all out…and then take it all down. And I’ll be honest…there was a huge part of me that wanted to just skip it all this year.  For the last decade or more, my mother did not put up a Christmas tree or decorate much at her house.  She would say…”I’ll just enjoy Debbie’s decorations.” There has been a lump in my throat as I set out some of her treasures that now are part of my collection…and a smile on my face as I remembered how much she enjoyed many of them - like a big golden Santa that was a gift from her friend, Branson entertainer Shoji Tabuchi.

I reminded myself this morning that this effort is a gift.  God gave us Jesus - and a zillion reasons to celebrate. We do all we can to maintain the focus on Jesus during this Christmas season…but even the secular decorations contribute to the overall joy and wonder of the holiday season.  In total, this transformation of our home says, “Something special is happening…we are celebrating the greatest birthday ever.”  We are “making a fuss” to let God know how grateful we are for His best Gift ever…Jesus Christ! And we are saying to others, “We love Jesus enough to celebrate His birth and share this joy and festivity with each of you!”

So I will finish the decorating.  I may not put out EVERYTHING this year (who am I kidding?!)…but I will make our home a “party palace for Jesus!”  I will give this gift to those who visit…and give the glory to God Almighty. I will praise the Lord and bow down to honor Him with every ornament and piece of tinsel. Let the celebration of Jesus’ birth begin! Now it’s your turn!


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: