Daily Devotional for November 12, 2016

Revelation 1:1-7
This is what God showed to Jesus Christ, so that he could tell his servants what must happen soon. Christ then sent his angel with the message to his servant John. And John told everything that he had seen about God’s message and about what Jesus Christ had said and done.

God will bless everyone who reads this prophecy to others, and he will bless everyone who hears and obeys it. The time is almost here.

From John to the seven churches in Asia.

I pray that you will be blessed with kindness and peace from God, who is and was and is coming. May you receive kindness and peace from the seven spirits before the throne of God. May kindness and peace be yours from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness. Jesus was the first to conquer death, and he is the ruler of all earthly kings. Christ loves us, and by his blood he set us free from our sins. He lets us rule as kings and serve God his Father as priests. To him be glory and power forever and ever! Amen. Look! He is coming with the clouds. Everyone will see him, even the ones who stuck a sword through him. All people on earth will weep because of him. Yes, it will happen! Amen.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Let me begin by saying that I respect the Book of Revelation, but I am by no means an “End Times” scholar.  Frankly, I am not worried about what will happen when Jesus returns, because I know where I am headed!  At the same time, I read these words today and considered them in light of what is happening in our world.  I also read the entries in Jesus Calling* for November 11th and 12th, and a very clear message emerged…one of hope and promise - and kindness!

In the November 11th entry, I read that Jesus knows what our days will contain – both difficulties and blessings – and He empowers us according to how willing we are to rely on Him for help AND how difficult the circumstances may be.  We are encouraged to look at challenges as “opportunities to receive more of My Power than usual.”  We are to receive His kindness and peace…and share this with others.

In today’s entry, the speaker talks of how we have trudged through weeks (and maybe months) of challenges and difficulties…and now, we are enjoying a season of abundance and blessings.  Maybe you don’t feel like you are “there” yet!  But as I look at my own life over the last several months, I see how a lot of what I have experienced was akin to trudging through a deep, dark forest with heavy underbrush…and now I am somewhat emerging into the openness of “lush meadows drenched in warm sunshine.”

I feel Jesus with me.  I know that He has my best interests at heart.  This entry says that we often fail to receive all that Jesus wants to give us because we decide that we are unworthy.  Let me assure you, NONE OF US are worthy!  We did nothing…we can do nothing…to deserve Jesus and all that He has sacrificed for us. There is no logical reason for Him to return for us…much less prepare a place for us with Him for all Eternity.  These are GIFTS…and when we don’t readily accept and receive them, He is insulted – and heartbroken.

So I will take the gifts that Jesus is offering.  I will gratefully thank Him for bringing me through dark times and bathing me in His light and blessings.  I will share His kindness and peace with others and encourage them along the way.  I look forward to the day when I can sit at Jesus’ feet all the time and bask in His glory – forever and ever.  I am not afraid…of anything, past, present or future.  I am empowered by the Savior of the World…and He will never desert me.

Emboldened by the power of Jesus Christ, I look at the challenges and difficulties of this world and say…“Bring it on!”  Are you with me?


©2016 Debbie Robus

*Jesus Calling – http://jesuscalling.com

No comments: