Daily Devotional for November 26, 2016

Psalm 34:1-10
I will always praise the Lord. With all my heart, I will praise the Lord. Let all who are helpless, listen and be glad. Honor the Lord with me! Celebrate his great name.

I asked the Lord for help, and he saved me from all my fears.  Keep your eyes on the Lord! You will shine like the sun and never blush with shame.

I was a nobody, but I prayed, and the Lord saved me from all my troubles. If you honor the Lord, his angel will protect you.

Discover for yourself that the Lord is kind. Come to him for protection, and you will be glad.

Honor the Lord! You are his special people. No one who honors the Lord will ever be in need.

Young lions may go hungry or even starve, but if you trust the Lord, you will never miss out on anything good.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

This month the 2nd-3rd graders and I have studied “the truth about angels and devils”…and learned about prayer.  Tomorrow, we will learn about heaven.  During one of the lessons, we read James 4:8…”Come near to God, and he will come near to you.” My assistant, Susan, reminded the children that when they feel the devil near them, all they have to do is “turn their back” on him and whisper the name, “Jesus!”  Jesus will come to their aid, and the devil will flee.

A few nights ago, I awoke suddenly, and my mind started racing.  I could not stop thinking about several things, and it occurred to me…”This is the devil trying to steal my sleep.”  I remembered Susan’s suggestion, and I began to repeatedly whisper, “Jesus…Jesus!”  A sense of calm and peace washed over me, and I soon felt fast asleep.  I prayed…and the LORD saved me from all of my troubles.  His angels came to protect me as I slept.

So often, we “suffer” needlessly.  We fail to reach out to God, Who is waiting to come to us and offer protection…to save us from all of our troubles and fears. Yes, we were “nobodies,” but God loved us enough to send Jesus to rescue us.  And when we call on His name, He will draw near and protect us – and meet our every need. 

Psalm 34:10 talks of “young lions”…which is often a Biblical reference to Satan and his agents. At the very name of Jesus, these enemies wither and slink away in defeat.  Isn’t it time we whispered, “Jesus!” more often?  With all my heart, I will praise Him and celebrate His great name!

Honor the LORD with me…and learn to never be in need!  Let all who are helpless listen and be glad indeed! Kick the devil and his agents to the curb! Honor and praise the LORD…this day, and always.

©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: