Daily Devotional for November 24, 2016

Psalm 118:1-7; 27-28
Oh, thank the Lord, for he’s so good! His loving-kindness is forever.

Let the congregation of Israel praise him with these same words: “His loving-kindness is forever.” And let the priests of Aaron chant, “His loving-kindness is forever.” Let the Gentile converts chant, “His loving-kindness is forever.”

In my distress I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me and rescued me. He is for me! How can I be afraid? What can mere man do to me? The Lord is on my side; he will help me. Let those who hate me beware.

Jehovah God is our light. I present to him my sacrifice upon the altar, for you are my God, and I shall give you this thanks and this praise. Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for he is so good! For his loving-kindness is forever.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Last Thanksgiving Day, things were so different for my family.  Greg’s brother was alive and well and celebrating with his family.  My mother was battling ovarian cancer…but she was able to dine with us at our table and visit for a few hours afterward.  Now, both of these loved ones are feasting at God’s Heavenly Table…and that doesn’t seem possible – or right!

Last year, Mother wrote a Thanksgiving week blog post in which she noted: “This year, my 76th Thanksgiving, is totally different. I have cancer—an unwelcome and unexpected guest. I cannot host my family around my dining table. My Thanksgiving apron hung limp, not worn this year. However, my older daughter and her husband picked up the tradition. On Thanksgiving Day, we gathered around their dining table in their beautiful home perched on a bluff overlooking [the] Little Red River and Greers Ferry Dam that holds the water back in an expanse of clear blue water.”

“For the first time in my adult life, I was only expected to be present. I did not prepare the dressing, the pecan pie, or the turkey breast. But I am so thankful to have one more Thanksgiving with my loved ones; three little great-grandchildren who keep the holiday lively. A nephew and his wife traveled from Northwest Arkansas to be with us. Thanksgiving was a special day—one in which to give thanks to our Lord. Hopefully, next year, I can once again take my Thanksgiving apron from its hook and help to prepare our feast.”

Mother did not get to pick up that apron for this Thanksgiving…but the cousins drove down to be with us again.  And my immediate family is gathered together for a Thanksgiving feast and visit.  We are still standing…and we are incredibly grateful and thankful.

I lost count of the number of dear friends of ours who have lost a parent, spouse or sibling since this time last year.  Maybe I am more aware, but it seems like a lot of people are in the same boat as we are.  A few days ago, God gave me a beautiful vision.  I have been cooking for our meal for three days or more…and God showed me a lavish Thanksgiving table in heaven.  My parents were seated there, along with my brother, grandparents, my cousins, aunts, uncles, Greg’s dad and brother and HIS grandparents and extended family.

Neighbors, friends, and people from around our community and beyond who were an integral part of our lives were there, also.  There was such an abundance of food…and people lingered and laughed and visited.  Jesus moved in and among the group, sitting first one place and then another.  There was no sadness…and nobody was worried about calories – or anything else!  Did I mention that there was a lot of laughter?

I very plainly heard God tell me, “Someday, you will be here, too…and it will be glorious. Meanwhile, you have people to ‘feed’ where you are…things to do…and an important purpose.”  I was flooded with peace and comfort by this thought…and I have shared it with several loved ones who are missing their own “people” this holiday.

We have so much for which to be thankful…especially Jesus and the promise of heaven because of His sacrifice on the cross.  Someday, we WILL be there, too…and it WILL be glorious.  Meanwhile, God’s lovingkindness makes life on earth bearable – and pretty great most days – like this one!  For this, I give thanks – today, and always. What about you?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: