Daily Devotional for November 8, 2016

Matthew 7:12
Treat others as you want them to treat you. This is what the Law and the Prophets are all about.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.
Well, here we are!  For months, we have said we were anxious for Election Day to arrive…and now it’s upon us!  People have been saying, “I’m so ready for this to be over.”  And that’s a reasonable statement.  But let’s be honest…for a lot of Americans, this day will not bring the results they desired or anticipated.  Even those who are happy about the election of one candidate or another are sure to have disappointments in the outcomes of other races.

It’s a pretty safe assumption that there are people serving in office today who did not receive your vote - or mine.  Yet somehow, the world continues to spin on its axis. This was my eleventh presidential election in which to vote.  Like all of us, I’ve seen my candidates win…and lose.  I’ve been disappointed, worried about our country – and the world at large - and downright mad at times.  But I have never resorted to disrespect or name calling.

As a teacher, aunt, and friend to dozens of young children, I have never spoken disdainfully to them about another candidate.  I’ve never criticized the adults who voted for the opposition…or told a child that his/her parents and adult relatives were wrong for supporting a certain candidate. I may have explained why I supported the people who got my vote…but I have never attacked the choices of another.

When my candidates have lost, I’ve done my best to be kind and respectful of those who were elected.  I might not sing their praises, but I don’t belittle them or treat them unkindly – even with words. I have been greatly dismayed by the judgment of others…and I’ve mentally questioned their thinking in supporting certain candidates.  But I still love them. I will still be kind to them when we meet…I will still smile and treat them with respect.  I will honor their right and privilege to support whoever they choose…and I will hope that they afford me the same respect.

In the words of First Lady, Michelle Obama, God is calling us to “go high.”  Jesus has commanded us to treat others as we wish to be treated…and that includes those who did not get our vote.  So tomorrow, when the ballots have been tallied, I will hold my head high and move ahead with my efforts to serve God to the best of my ability…even if that means keeping my mouth shut about people I did not elect!  This election IS important…but honoring God and serving Him in faithful obedience is so much more critical.

When you wake up tomorrow, how will you behave?  Who will you serve and honor?  Will your words and actions show others a faith-filled disciple of Christ…or a sore loser who doesn’t really demonstrate that “with God, ALL things are possible?”  Take some time today to prayerfully seek God’s strength and resolve. Let Him fill you with His power and confidence – even when you are feeling defeated.  Always “go high” with God and show others His amazing grace and mercy.  Pull the lever, then walk away with confidence that God in still in control - today and always - and let others always see this in your daily living.


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: