Daily Devotional for November 18, 2016

Romans 13:8-10
Pay all your debts except the debt of love for others—never finish paying that! For if you love them, you will be obeying all of God’s laws, fulfilling all his requirements. If you love your neighbor as much as you love yourself you will not want to harm or cheat him, or kill him or steal from him. And you won’t sin with his wife or want what is his, or do anything else the Ten Commandments say is wrong. All ten are wrapped up in this one, to love your neighbor as you love yourself. Love does no wrong to anyone. That’s why it fully satisfies all of God’s requirements. It is the only law you need.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Fridays have become a busy time for me.  I spend the morning and at least part of the afternoon helping in Timothy and Zola’s classrooms at school.  It is no secret that I love children.  I love getting to know them…teaching them and watching as their minds expand with knowledge.  I love “loving” them and seeing their faces light up when they receive a smile or a hug.  I love encouraging a child and seeing the joy that he/she experiences when the “light bulb” goes on and things improve or a concept is fully understood. I love the purity and innocence with which children give and receive love.

Sometimes, children have to be corrected.  After all, we do have work to do and academic goals to achieve!  I have to remind students to stay on task.  I have to tell children that I cannot give them the answers to the test…that I will help them all I can, but I can’t do their work for them. I must remind the children to stay quiet in the hallways  - and stay in their seats and listen to the teacher in the classroom - even though they have a bazillion things they feel they simply must tell me immediately!  But these moments of correction are peppered with love and kindness.  I may speak firmly…but hopefully I am never harsh.  I may give a child an answer that he/she doesn’t want to hear…but I never want to make anyone feel ashamed.

I found a blog called Swords&Snoodles*, written by a woman in the United Kingdom named Becci Nicholls.  She shared a meme on Pinterest that said…” Don't become preoccupied with your child's academic ability. But instead, teach them to sit with those sitting alone. Teach them to be kind. Teach them to offer their help. Teach them to be a friend to the lonely. Teach them to encourage others. Teach them to think about other people. Teach them to share. Teach them to look for the good.  This is how they'll change the world.”

At the end of the day…love is what matters. This scripture passage is right…”Love your neighbor as yourself” is the only law we need.  This one commandment encompasses everything else.  Love does no intentional wrong to anyone…ever. A lot of us seem to have forgotten this.  Don’t you think it’s time we were reminded?

Are you looking for the good and operating in love - at all times toward all people?  Isn’t it time you were?

          
©2016 Debbie Robus

* http://swordsandsnoodles.co.uk/

No comments: