Daily Devotional for October 10, 2016

Matthew 4:1-4
Then Jesus was led out into the wilderness by the Holy Spirit, to be tempted there by Satan. For forty days and forty nights he ate nothing and became very hungry. Then Satan tempted him to get food by changing stones into loaves of bread.

“It will prove you are the Son of God,” he said.

But Jesus told him, “No! For the Scriptures tell us that bread won’t feed men’s souls: obedience to every word of God is what we need.”

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Excuses! Excuses!  We’ve all made them…

  • “If I don’t look the other way, I’ll lose my job.”
  • “If I make my kids behave, they won’t like me.”
  • “If I speak out against racist remarks, I’ll lose my friends.”
  • “If I don’t serve on high profile committees in my church, people will think I don’t love God.”
  • “I don’t approve of this person, but if I don’t support him/her, things will be really tough for me.
You and I are often very hungry…for attention, for reassurance, for friendship, for acceptance and approval.  It’s as if we have been in the desert for 40 days without food, and the devil comes along and says, “Have all you can eat.  It comes with some ‘strings’ and some compromises, but they won’t really matter.  What’s important is how YOU feel…what this means for YOU in the short run.  I know what you’re going through…and only I can make you feel better!  So EAT!”

Here’s the thing…when we compromise our values or fall victim to the devil’s schemes – or when we succumb to his temptations, we lose big time.  Not only that…when we “eat” from Satan’s plate of lies, we totally deprecate our faith that God can handle things. We are often so fearful of what will happen to us if we stand up for what we KNOW God is telling us is the right thing that we completely turn our backs on Him.  Essentially we say, “LORD, I know You SAID you could handle anything, but I really don’t believe You!”

So where will you stand today?  Are you really ready to tell the devil to get lost - and trust God…for EVERYTHING?  Dare to say, “I have no clue what this may cost me in the short run…but I am willing to risk it to stay in Your will, LORD.”  God will make a way where you see none at all.  I know, because I have done this…more than once!

More than a few of us are “wandering in the desert” today…and we are starving.  The devil is standing before us with the most attractive and delectable offerings to tempt us over to his side.  But God is standing there, also…and I promise, what He offers makes Satan’s enticements look like ridiculous.

Don’t be fooled…and don’t make the mistake of choosing poorly.  TRUST GOD!  Allow HIM to feed you and meet your needs.  He can…and He will!  Are you ready to take a leap of faith?    


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: