Daily Devotional for October 25, 2016

Matthew 5:21-22  
“You’re familiar with the command to the ancients, ‘Do not murder.’ I’m telling you that anyone who is so much as angry with a brother or sister is guilty of murder. Carelessly call a brother ‘idiot!’ and you just might find yourself hauled into court. Thoughtlessly yell ‘stupid!’ at a sister and you are on the brink of hellfire. The simple moral fact is that words kill.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

I voted today. I’ve cast my ballot and done my civic duty.  I am so weary of this campaign season and the horrible things that people on both sides are saying about one another.  I can barely look at my Facebook wall these days, because frankly, I feel like I am not going to have many friends left after November 8th.  People I know and love have said horrible things…called others terrible names…and basically shown me a side that I didn’t realize existed – and don’t care to embrace!  Moreover, I don’t want others to think that I support these comments – or ideologies.

So I am offering Matthew 5:21-22 as “food for thought” today…for all of us. Words kill.  Careless name calling has dire consequences…not only in personal relationships – but in the eyes of God.  If God sees this as “murder,” then we should not want any part of it.  This scripture should make us keenly aware that our thoughts, words, and actions matter greatly to God…and a lot of us should be busily trying to do a major overhaul on how we speak and behave!

I know that things won’t change after the election…that there will still be disgruntled people who want to voice their opinions.  And I am prayerfully considering a major reduction of my “friends” list to remove those who continue to engage in “murderous words and actions.” Jesus did not mince words in this passage…and it’s pretty clear to me how He feels about our engagement in these behaviors – and any association with those who do.

For me, the stakes are high.  I’d rather be Jesus’ obedient disciple and have a handful of faithful friends than to claim dozens of pals and be even remotely thought of as a “murderer” – by Him or anyone else!  What about you?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: