Daily Devotional for October 29, 2016

Matthew 5:48
“In a word, what I’m saying is, Grow up. You’re kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you.”

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

This fall as I have been spending time at the elementary school with Timmy and Zola – and in the Sunday school classes at our church -  I’ve realized that these classrooms are microcosms of the world at large…filled with many of the social issues and concerns that trouble the world at large.  I’ve observed children who are struggling (if only subconsciously) with discrimination because of their race, socio-economic level, or intellect. There are children in foster homes, broken homes, and homes that where the family dynamic is disintegrating.  There are children with special needs…and plenty of “drama” between both boys and girls.  This is all on top of the academic challenges that the children face each week in their classrooms!

These little lives and the struggles that befall them parallel those of their adult counterparts in many ways.  And I am reminded of how this broke my heart and troubled me when I left teaching 30 years ago.  I brought a lot of the heartaches home with me at night and “massaged” them over and over. I am trying not to do that now - and here’s why…I am making every effort to live out my faith.

“But wait a minute!” you might say.  “If you are living out your faith, shouldn’t you be concerned for these children?”  Absolutely…but I am confident that God is watching over them.  I ask Him to do this every day…and I trust that He will answer, because I know they are precious to Him.  This frees me to pass out love, hugs and encouragement…to smile and laugh with the children and to let them know how important they are to me – and especially to God. MY JOB as a Christian disciple is not to worry.  It is to live generously and graciously toward others and try my hardest to always give them a glimpse of God and how HE lives toward us.

I hope that I have learned a thing or two in the last few decades.  I’d like to say that I have grown up…but I am sure I still have work to do.  Still, I am doing my best to live like a Kingdom Subject…to quit wringing my hands and worrying over every little thing that happens in this world…to move past the drama, let go, and let God handle the details. This is my God-created identity…and I am trying to honor His gracious and generous gift.  What about you?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: