Daily Devotional for October 3, 2016

October 3 ~ Matthew 11:10-11
For John is the man mentioned in the Scriptures—a messenger to precede me, to announce my coming, and prepare people to receive me.

“Truly, of all men ever born, none shines more brightly than John the Baptist. And yet, even the lesser lights in the Kingdom of Heaven will be greater than he is!

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

We seem to be wired to be “awestruck” by people who have public recognition…across all platforms.  And while I do not mean any disrespect, they are truly just regular folk like you and me. I appreciate the work that people like Billy Graham, Mother Teresa, and Pope Francis have done to further God’s kingdom.  But I also know some ordinary, everyday people who are quietly doing incredible work every single day to disciple and minister to others in the name of Jesus.

My own grandmother was about as plain and simple as they come.  She didn’t live in a fancy house…she drove an Army-green 1965 Chevy Impala that resembled a tank.  She made most of her own clothing and did not have expensive jewelry – or anything else of much monetary value.  But she was ready and willing to share everything she had with others.  Her first question to a stranger was usually, “Where do y’all go to church?”  And quite often, she followed that with an invitation to join her for a meal.

My grandmother was not perfect.  She could spit out some real zingers from time to time…and her opinions had little to no filter.  You knew where you stood with her at all times.  She could give you life advice as quickly and easily as she told you how to give your heart to Jesus and get to heaven!  And I honestly believe that her “mansion” there is probably bigger than many…certainly as fine as that of many “women of the Bible” – and the likes of Mother Teresa and John Wesley!  She continually heralded Jesus to any and all she met, through word and deed.

What does this all mean for us?  You and I are just as precious and important to Jesus as John the Baptist…maybe even more!  I don’t mean that to sound arrogant or disrespectful…but God sent John to herald Jesus’ coming. John was physically WITH Jesus…he saw firsthand who Jesus was – and why God sent Him. You and I do not have that luxury…yet we have our own missions to accomplish based on sheer faith. And as we obediently do so, we are building “equity” in our heavenly mansion.

Every word we speak…every gesture of kindness…every time we speak the name of Jesus to another – or demonstrate His power, strength, love, grace, kindness, mercy, compassion and forgiveness to someone – we are ensuring that our light will shine brightly in Heaven.  God notes all that we do…nothing is wasted. As anointed and redeemed believers in Jesus, the “bad” is forgiven and scattered “as far as East is from West”…and the “good” things are noted for all Eternity.

It’s not about who we are…what matters is WHOSE we are – and how we share Jesus with others.  At my grandmother’s funeral, I stated that I learned a LOT from her in our 56 years together.  SHE is my role model for ministering to others in Jesus’ name…and I hope that someday, we are “next-door-neighbors” in heaven…right down the street from John the Baptist! My prayer is that your house would be in our “neighborhood,” too.  Will we see you there?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: