Daily Devotional for October 23, 2016

Matthew 5:17-19
“Don’t misunderstand why I have come—it isn’t to cancel the laws of Moses and the warnings of the prophets. No, I came to fulfill them and to make them all come true. With all the earnestness I have I say: Every law in the Book will continue until its purpose is achieved. And so if anyone breaks the least commandment and teaches others to, he shall be the least in the Kingdom of Heaven. But those who teach God’s laws and obey them shall be great in the Kingdom of Heaven.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
My last year in the classroom as a teacher was 1985-1986. I’ve been tutoring elementary students the last few months, and a lot has changed in 30 years!  There are “new” teaching methods…and the expectations for young students have definitely changed!  I taught kindergarten students to memorize their address, tie their shoes and count to twenty. Now they are doing addition and subtraction, reading and writing sentences…and most of the shoes have Velcro fasteners!  Second graders not only write stories…they are learning how to enhance them with details…to have an opening and a conclusion…and how to do a lot of their lessons via a “Chrome book” and a “smart board.”

Does this mean that the “old ways” have no value?  Absolutely not!  Because at the end of the day, I utilize a lot of the “old” methods I learned almost 40 years ago in order to drive home concepts, such as how to listen for the main topic of a paragraph…what prefixes and suffixes do to change “root” words…and more.  One-on-one instruction will never be obsolete!  And the BIG thing that has not changed is the necessity for each child to feel loved and valued.  At the end of the day, a hug and a few words of genuine concern and encouragement have as great an impact as any tangible “reward” or lesson.

So when we talk about how the “old ways” of the Old Testament have been replaced because of Jesus, we don’t mean they are to be totally discarded.  I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty glad I don’t have to slit the throat of a baby lamb or calf and spill its blood in order for God to forgive my sins.  But I still have to obey the commandments that God laid out in scripture before Jesus was born!  I am thankful that many of the punishments that God meted out (like the plagues on Pharaoh’s Egyptians) are a thing of the past.  But when God speaks, I still listen – and do my best to comply quickly and completely!

In Mark 12:29-31, Jesus says… “The Lord our God is the one and only God. And you must love him with all your heart and soul and mind and strength.’ The second is: ‘You must love others as much as yourself.”  If you follow these commands, you will encompass all of God’s laws by default.  They are still God’s laws…and we must follow all of them. But God has given us a new “method” by which to accomplish this – Salvation through Jesus Christ.  Jesus is our Savior…our blessing…our teacher and Forever Friend.  But He is also our “hug and encouragement” to keep trying and making every effort to be obedient disciples and servants.

Isn’t it time we stopped making this so complicated? I don’t want to have to be constantly asking myself if I am on track with this command or that one.  So I choose to love God – and love others. Anything that I think, say or do that doesn’t line up with this is outside the realm of God’s commands and should not be happening.  I thank Jesus for making this so simple to understand…and for sacrificing His blood to wash away my sins, once and for all.  What about you?
 

©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: