Daily Devotional for October 24, 2016

Psalm 139:17-18
How precious it is, Lord, to realize that you are thinking about me constantly! I can’t even count how many times a day your thoughts turn toward me. And when I waken in the morning, you are still thinking of me!

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

My desktop flip calendar quote for today said, “A little boy ended a lengthy prayer that had included everyone he could think of by saying: ‘And dear God, take care of Yourself.  If anything happens to You, we’re all sunk.’”  While there is humor here…there is also a lot of truth. We need to stop and ponder the God who thinks about us constantly.

Today, I helped the elementary school nurse and her team screen children for hearing and vision deficiencies.  As luck would have it, the “lunch break” paralleled Timmy’s lunch time, so I went with his class to the cafeteria.  On the way back to the classroom, Timmy and another boy were talking about Christmas and how excited they were.  The other little boy said, “My favorite part of Christmas is all of the toys I will get.”  I said my favorite part was celebrating Jesus’ birthday.

Timmy agreed…”Yeah, because if we didn’t have Jesus, we would have all of those frogs and locusts!”  He was recalling our Sunday school lesson about Moses and the plagues that God sent upon Pharaoh and the Egyptians for their disobedience.  Another child chimed in and said, “Without Jesus we would just have God…and if we didn’t have GOD…that would be REALLY bad!” Talk about perfect timing for today’s message!  These second-grade boys – and the little boy offering the “prayer” on my calendar – are exactly right.  Without God, we really would be sunk!

So stop and thank God for loving us so well.  Thank Him for sending Jesus to pour out His blood for our sins, so that we no longer have to make living sacrifices for our sins.  Thank Him for watching over us…for planning our lives before we were even formed…for thinking of us even before we awaken…and turning His thoughts toward each of us countless times throughout the day.  Who else does that?!

No one loves us like God loves us.  How precious it is that He thinks about us constantly…and how truly “sunk” we would be if He didn’t!  Stop and tell God how much you love Him…and get busy demonstrating this in everything you think, say and do!


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: