Daily Devotional for October 16, 2016

Matthew 5:1-3
When Jesus saw his ministry drawing huge crowds, he climbed a hillside. Those who were apprenticed to him, the committed, climbed with him. Arriving at a quiet place, he sat down and taught his climbing companions. This is what he said:

“You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule.”

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
         
I don’t even have to ask if you’ve ever been “at the end of your rope.”  We all have “been there – done that”…sometimes more than once!  But how often have you considered this a blessing?  I can assure you, there have been times when I have been out of viable options…when things looked about as bleak as they could be and there was no way to “fix” this…when I had no choice but to concede that “the handwriting was on the wall” – and I could not change anything.

As I look back on these times, I see that God made the difference.  He filled in the gaps and gave me hope.  He equipped me for whatever I was facing…and yes, at times, He shielded me from the devastation and grief over what I was experiencing.  Often, when we are at the end of our rope, God doles out the impact in [relatively] more manageable doses so that we are not overwhelmed…and I am so grateful for this blessing.

I don’t know what your “rope” looks like today – or where your hands are positioned.  But I do know that God has you in HIS grip…and He will never let you go. God is ready, willing, and able to give you more of Him to compensate for less of you.  Your job is to surrender and trust Him to supply your every need – and then some!

My prayer today is that we would all come to the point where we are able to recognize God’s blessings - even in what seems like the worst of circumstances. I pray that when we reach the end of our rope (and we all will at one time or another)…we are able to trust God to tie a knot and sustain us as only He can.  With less of us, there is room for more of God. And that is always a good thing…and a blessing.  Are you ready to let Him bless you in every circumstance?  Will this be the day that you let God control the rope?  


©2016 Debbie Robus 

No comments: