Daily Devotional for October 28, 2016

Matthew 5:43-47    
“You’re familiar with the old written law, ‘Love your friend,’ and its unwritten companion, ‘Hate your enemy.’ I’m challenging that. I’m telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves. This is what God does. He gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty. If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

I had to “unfollow” a few Facebook friends this week, because their posts became so vile and disgusting that I could no longer read them. And while I am not as faithful and obedient about this as I should be, I do pray for people who are spouting rhetoric that is confusing at best…and downright appalling and demeaning in many cases. I ask God to bring truth to the forefront, to rebuke those who are spreading hateful rumors and ideologies, and to heal the hearts of those who have made such toxic thoughts their stock in trade.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve been on the receiving end of untruths and unkind treatment. I know how much that hurts. I also know how difficult it can be to receive undeserved grace from someone I have offended or insulted in some way – even if unintentionally. If you are honest, you probably will agree that when we receive grace and kindness from someone we know we have mistreated or disrespected, we usually feel at least a tad embarrassed.  You’ve heard people say, “I wish you would just hit me and get it over with”…meaning that a physical punishment would be easier to stomach than having to accept the other person’s leniency and mercy.

What does this mean for us as Christians?  I think Jesus is pretty clear.  When someone insults us or offends us in some way, we are to swallow our pride, anger, and indignation…and “take the high road.”  We are to genuinely and sincerely pray for that person with a real desire for God to speak to this individual and heal his/her heart – but not in the sense of “LORD, You need to FIX him/her!” - or even out of a desire to make the other person feel badly.

We need to be gracious, tender, and “kill ‘em with kindness!”  And here’s why…this is exactly what God does for us, each and every day.  You and I continually insult and demean God.  We trample on Him in ways we can’t even count.  And He lovingly and graciously continues to care for us and meet our every need. This humbles me…because I know that most of the time, I don’t deserve such compassionate treatment.

If we want to be true servants, we have to do this for others.  If we want to be real disciples of Christ, we have to obey His commands – including this one!  As Jesus put it…we are either all in with Him…or we are just one more run-of-the-mill sinner.  I know which “camp” I want to be in…what about you?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: