Daily Devotional for October 15, 2016

October 15 ~ Matthew 4:23-35
Jesus went all over Galilee, teaching in the Jewish meeting places and preaching the good news about God’s kingdom. He also healed every kind of disease and sickness. News about him spread all over Syria, and people with every kind of sickness or disease were brought to him. Some of them had a lot of demons in them, others were thought to be crazy, and still others could not walk. But Jesus healed them all.

Large crowds followed Jesus from Galilee and the region around the ten cities known as Decapolis. They also came from Jerusalem, Judea, and from across the Jordan River.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Sit with me for a bit while I throw a little pity party.  For someone who is retired, I have had a BUSY week that included a field trip with Timothy’s class to Little Rock on Thursday, and a morning of tutoring at school yesterday.  This was followed by an afternoon spent with Timmy and Zola, who got out of school early and came home to stay with Greg and me!  I was one tired aunt last night!  This morning as I enjoyed a second cup of coffee while perusing email and organizing my thoughts for this devotional, a car appeared in our driveway.

I looked out the window, and a man dressed in a suit was headed for the front door, papers in hand.  You guessed it…he wanted to invite us to attend his church – and he had literature ready to present to me. Still dressed in my pajamas, I peeped out the door and politely thanked him with the added note that “We belong to the Methodist church.”  He smiled and thanked ME - and turned to leave.

As I watched the man make his way back to his car, I read this scripture passage again.  And I reminded myself that Jesus was busy, too!  The Bible tells us that He sought places to rest.  He grew weary from all of the preaching and teaching and healing.  But Jesus never stopped ministering to others.  He was strengthened for His journey…and God refreshed Him every time He began to tire.

I began to think about how God gives me strength to keep going when I am tired.  If I am doing what He has called me to do, I always manage to have everything I need to get it done…energy, stamina, courage, and more.  God equips me with His supernatural strength and ability.  And He will do that for each of us, when we listen for His voice and do what He has ordained.

The other thing I thought about was the man who knocked on my door on this Saturday morning.  Whether I agree with his church doctrine or not, this man and his fellow congregants are faithful to what they hear God telling them…to get up, go out, knock on doors, and invite people to worship.  A man was almost literally shouting scripture passages in Walmart a few days ago as I shopped…stopping people and talking their ear off about Jesus and salvation – and the promise of Heaven for those who believe.  He SAID that God told him to do this!  And while busy shoppers (and I was one of them) ducked down alternate aisles to avoid him and hurry on, I had to think…this man was doing what he heard God tell him to do.

Sure, there are people who THINK they hear from God about certain things, when in truth, we don’t know WHO they are hearing from…maybe aliens from outer space!  I know that some people use “God told me” as an excuse for crazy talk or behavior.  But you and I both know that there are plenty of times when we hear God speaking to us…or we feel a gentle nudge from the Holy Spirit to say or do something in the name of Jesus.  And we roll back over in bed or look away and say, “Not today, Father” – or “Not me!  Ask someone else!”

My point is this…Isaiah 40:31 tells us “But those who trust the Lord will find new strength. They will be strong like eagles soaring upward on wings; they will walk and run without getting tired.”  When you grow weary, think of this passage – and the unending works of Jesus.  Remind yourself that Jesus NEVER quits working on our behalf…that He is always available to help us with whatever we require.  Even when we are not aware that we need Jesus, He is with us…working behind the scenes.  How can we stop doing what He calls us to do?  How can we gripe, complain, and say that we are too tired…too scared…too unprepared or ill-equipped?

God will give provide us with plenty of time to rest.  Meanwhile, it’s time for us to soar like eagles…to walk and run - and trust Jesus to supply us with everything we need for the work at hand. Are you ready to get busy with the work of the LORD?  Will this be the day that you begin?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: