Daily Devotional for October 19, 2016

Matthew 5:5-6
“You’re blessed when you’re content with just who you are—no more, no less. That’s the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can’t be bought.

“You’re blessed when you’ve worked up a good appetite for God. He’s food and drink in the best meal you’ll ever eat.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
 
I had breakfast with some friends from high school a few weeks ago, and one of them told of a time when he was really poor.  He said he was very hungry, and all he had in the cupboard was a packet of biscuit mix and 2 packets of “Swiss Miss®” cocoa mix.  My friend had no milk or eggs, but he decided that he could mix the cocoa packets with water (milk?) and add it to the biscuit mix – and make pancakes!  He said, “I didn’t even have any syrup…but I didn’t go hungry!”

You can tell by looking at me that I am all about a good meal – and syrup on my pancakes!  I like “creature comforts”…and nice things…and I have more than my share of both.  But like many people, I have things that I wish I could change about myself…wrinkles and sags and extra “padding” in the wrong places.  I wish I could turn back the clock and have strong “runner’s knees” again…and no arthritis in my fingers.  I look at old pictures and long for another family gathering and be youth and energy to enjoy one another’s company.

Then I take our little ones swimming…or watch them play with abandon in our yard or living room.  I look at their happy faces as I make their favorite sandwiches…and I realize that the children don’t care what I look like.  They accept that I can’t run as fast as they can – or climb as high. But they know how much Greg and I love them…that they are always safe and nurtured when they are with us…that we always have their best interests at heart.  And this bond cannot be bought.

I share a sunrise with Greg…sit and enjoy coffee and conversation on our back porch…or laugh with him over one of our favorite sitcoms on television while our cat, Mabel, stretches out between us in “purrfect” contentment!  And I am reminded just how abundantly full my life is…how blessed we are to be able to have enjoyed rewarding careers that afforded us the luxury working together - and an early retirement.

I am reminded every day, in ways great and small, of what truly matters.  For us, it is faith and family – in that order. Without faith in God, we would not have the strength and wisdom to care for each other and our family as we should.  We would not fully appreciate how precious life and the people in it are…and how important it is to serve God by serving others.  Without our deep and abiding relationship with our Heavenly Father, we would probably be more focused on correcting wrinkles, grey hair – or no hair(!), and “stuff”…and we would miss the sunrises, laughter and wonder that is “life.”

Nobody is perfect…and I have my moments where I am less than satisfied with where I am in life or what I have.  But for the most part, I take heart in what the Apostle Paul noted in Philippians 4:11-13…”I’ve learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I’m just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I’ve found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.”

I want this to be MY “recipe” – and the “syrup on my pancakes” as well.  What about you?

 

©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: