Daily Devotional for October 26, 2016

Matthew 5:23-27
“And don’t say anything you don’t mean. This counsel is embedded deep in our traditions. You only make things worse when you lay down a smoke screen of pious talk, saying, ‘I’ll pray for you,’ and never doing it, or saying, ‘God be with you,’ and not meaning it. You don’t make your words true by embellishing them with religious lace. In making your speech sound more religious, it becomes less true. Just say ‘yes’ and ‘no.’ When you manipulate words to get your own way, you go wrong.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

Almost every day, there is a post on Facebook from someone asking others for prayer for this person or that situation. A lot of people comment and say that they are praying – or will pray.  I will tell you, I’m not always one of them…and if/when I do write this, I stop RIGHT THEN and offer a prayer.  These verses from Matthew 5 explains why I do this.

I will be the first to say that there have been plenty of times when I’ve said…”You’re in my thoughts and prayers”…and I got busy and that person or situation totally left my conscious thoughts.  Surely you have noted that you would pray for someone, and days later when they posted on Facebook that… “I’m okay – thanks for your prayers,” you went…“Oh, geez…I never even mentioned them to God!”

I’m just being honest…and noting that Jesus tells us not embellish our talk or make promises we can’t – or won’t – keep…especially when these involve our Christian faith and witness. We should not swear to emphasize our points. We should not “promise on a stack of Bibles” or say, “As God is my witness.”  We should just simply say, “Yes” or “No!”  Our conduct must speak for itself.  People ought to feel confident that when we say we will do something…it will be done.  They should know that our word is our bond…that we are dependable and trustworthy, with no “sworn emphasis” necessary.

And while I’m at it…we need to ditch the phrase “OMG.”  This is also a “swear” of sorts…and it does not become us as Christians – or honor God. This phrase demeans and lessens Him…and in my opinion, it needs to go!  When I was in my teens and twenties, nobody in my circle would have dared to mention God in this context.  Now it is commonplace, and I believe we have reduced God by making him a common “swear word.”

Prayerfully consider cutting this phrase from your vocabulary. The English language is filled with plenty of demonstrative phrases to express your excitement and/or appall over any given situation.  I am praying that we will not degrade our relationship with our Heavenly Father by using His name as a swear word of any kind…even this one!

People are watching – and listening!  They know us - and the “fruit” we bear for Jesus – by how we conduct ourselves and what comes out of our mouth.  Let them see confidence in God’s promises…faith that Jesus changed us into new creatures who rely wholly on Him for everything.  Let your words be good…and good enough – without enhancing them with oaths, swears, and “spiritual promises” you can’t or won’t keep.  It’s time for us to be the “real deal” for Jesus each and every day – in ways great and small.  And now is the time for us to begin.  Are you with me?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: