Daily Devotional for October 18, 2016

Matthew 5:4
“You’re blessed when you feel you’ve lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.


Sunday, I took the children to our local fish hatchery.  We went inside and looked at glass displays of mounted fish and a salamander.  These displays once held water and live animals…and the children could not understand why this was not the case now.  They speculated aloud that perhaps if water was put back into the tanks, the animals would rejuvenate and come back to life.  I told them this was not the case…that once the animals were dead, that was final.  Timothy quipped, “Yes…once you’re dead…you’re dead.”  When you stop and consider this statement – and all that it encompasses - this is a sobering thought.

Last night, I sat down and wrote out four sympathy cards.  Three of my friends have just lost their mothers…another lost her father.  I cannot count on both hands the friends who have lost a parent this year…and that does not even take into consideration people I know who have lost a spouse, sibling, grandparent, close friend or relative…or pet.  The number probably seems more palpable because of my own losses – and my age.  Still…it is profound.

When I read this passage, I was truly struck by the first line…”You’re blessed when you feel you’ve lost what is most dear to you.”  How can this be?  How can we feel blessed when our loved one has left us forever?  How can it be a blessing to know that death is final…that we might have to live for decades without this person or animal we hold so dear?  When we lose a home to natural disaster…or a job we depended on and truly loved…how can we possibly feel blessed?  When our health is taken from us, and we must struggle and suffer with an injury or illness for days/weeks/years, how can this be a good thing?  And yet, this is exactly what Jesus tells us in Matthew 5:4.

We can be blessed in mourning because of Jesus.  When we are emptied out…stripped bare and completely vulnerable…He wraps His arms around us and whispers, “I am here…you are not alone.”  We turn to Jesus and fall into His amazing embrace…and we rest there.  He shields us from more grief and heartache than we can bear at any given minute…and we learn to rely on Him exponentially – for everything.  So yes, when we lose what is most dear, we can be truly blessed.

I have to remind myself of this often…but I know that Jesus spoke truth.  And I cling to this promise…and to Him. I cannot change the losses in my life, but I can change how I handle them…and what I do with my grief.  I choose to rest in Jesus’ arms and allow Him to comfort and guide me…to console me when I am sad - and encourage me every day.  He will do the same thing for anyone else who surrenders to Him.

What about you?  Are you ready to let Jesus embrace you and bless you – even in as you experience profound loss?  Isn’t it time you were?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: