Daily Devotional for October 10, 2011

John 12:24-26
I tell you for certain that a grain of wheat that falls on the ground will never be more than one grain unless it dies. But if it dies, it will produce lots of wheat. If you love your life, you will lose it. If you give it up in this world, you will be given eternal life. If you serve me, you must go with me. My servants will be with me wherever I am. If you serve me, my Father will honor you.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I was cleaning my desk this morning (those of you who know me can start laughing now), and I came across a note I had made that said, “Sidewalk Prophets – The Words I Would Say.” I Googled the phrase and found the YouTube video for this song. I had heard it on Christian radio one day and noted the names of the song and artist. This morning, I listened to it again and bookmarked it for future listening.

I had already found my scripture passage for today… the words practically leapt off the page at me. The message I received loud and clear is that life will not be easy or pleasant for us every single day just because we invite Jesus to be LORD of our life. If everything were hunky-dory every day, most of us would decide we really didn’t need a Savior, wouldn’t we?!

In order to truly prove to God that we are with Him 100%, we have to endure some bumps in the road… set our own personal agendas aside… and follow Him completely. We may have to work at a job we don’t particularly enjoy. We may have to get up at 3:00 a.m. with a sick baby or miss a party because our mom or grandma needs our help. We may have to tell our friends, “I’m sorry, but I can’t come with you,” as they get in a car and head for the liquor store and an all-nighter. We may have to speak up and share our disapproval to the person who makes unkind comments toward someone of another ethnicity, religious belief or lifestyle choice that differs from his/hers.

Recently I made the comment that I have had to do things in the past that did not make me happy… but they were the right thing to do – and I know God was guiding my steps. We don’t always get to have things our way, particularly if we are genuine Disciples of Christ. But the rewards and blessings far outweigh any momentary unhappiness we might encounter.

I encourage you to click on the video at the end of this post and listen to “The Words I Would Say.” If you don’t care to listen, take a look at the lyrics I’ve provided. Let Jesus speak to you through them today. Hear Him tell you to be strong in Him… never give up hope… don’t live life in fear and don’t forget why you are here! God’s got His hand on you… come find peace in the Father.

©2011 Debbie Robus

    The Words I Would Say
    ©2009 Sidewalk Prophets – These Simple Truths
    http://www.sidewalkprophets.com/

    Three in the morning,
    And I'm still awake,
    So I picked up a pen and a page,
    And I started writing,
    Just what I'd say,
    If we were face to face,
    I'd tell you just what you mean to me,
    I'd tell you these simple truths,

    Be strong in the Lord and,
    Never give up hope,
    You're going to do great things,
    I already know,
    God's got His hand on you so,
    Don't live life in fear,
    Forgive and forget,
    But don't forget why you're here,
    Take your time and pray,
    These are the words I would say,

    Last time we spoke,
    You said you were hurting,
    And I felt your pain in my heart,
    I want to tell you,
    That I keep on praying,
    Love will find you where you are,
    I know cause I've already been there,
    So please hear these simple truths,

    From one simple life to another,
    I will say,
    Come find peace in the Father,

    Be strong in the Lord and,
    Never give up hope,
    You're going to do great things,
    I already know,
    God's got His hand on you so,
    Don't live life in fear,
    Forgive and forget,
    But don't forget why you're here,
    Take your time and pray,
    Thank God for each day,
    His love will find a way,
    These are the words I would say

No comments: