Daily Devotional for October 19, 2011

Proverbs 22:4
Respect and serve the LORD! Your reward will be wealth, a long life, and honor.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

A friend of mine recently shared an amazing story with me. She said that on the morning of her aunt’s funeral, she awoke to a clear voice from the LORD saying, “Get up and make two pecan pies and TWO batches of chicken salad. Leave one salad at home… take the other to the church to be served for lunch.” She said the instructions were crystal clear. She told her sister about this and said, “I’ve made a grocery list, and we have to get busy.” Her sister trusted this word and helped make the pies and chicken salad.

When the family arrived at the church for the pre-funeral luncheon, my friend told one of the condolence committee volunteers, “I know you will think I’m crazy, but the LORD told me to bring this salad, so I did.” As it turned out, as many as twenty-five extra people showed up for lunch. Without the salad, there would not have been enough food. And as people returned to my friend’s house after the service, she served thin slices of the pecan pie and the second bowl of chicken salad to hungry guests. She told me, “I’m trying to pay attention when the LORD speaks… and I’m glad I did.”

My friend respects and serves the LORD. And while she may not be what some would consider wealthy or rich, all of her needs are met, and she lives in abundance. She is honorable… and on track to live a long, blessed life. I am taking a page from her book and listening to the LORD. I told her that I have really been trying to pay closer attention – and to do what God tells me to do. But her example has given me added inspiration to do this!

God is more than worthy of our respect and our obedience. So often we hear His voice and turn a deaf ear… or fail to pay close attention. And we miss out on so many blessings and opportunities to bless others in His name. It’s time to fine tune our listening skills. We need to open our hearts and minds to the voice of the LORD… to show Him our utmost respect… and to serve Him with everything we have. I’m in… are you?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: