Daily Devotional for October 24, 2011

Psalm 119:32
I am eager to learn all that you want me to do; help me to understand more and more.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Our little nephew, Timothy, spent the weekend with us, and he was sick with an upset stomach. He did not understand what was happening, and as he threw up, he would whimper and say, “DebDeb?” I tried to assure him that everything was okay… but I’m not sure he was convinced! Afterward, he asked for milk, and I could not explain why this was not a good beverage choice. I gave him a sippy cup with 7-Up instead, and he seemed satisfied. But the next morning, he awoke and asked for pizza! If you want a good lesson in “understanding,” try reasoning with a two-year-old. I managed to distract him… but the following morning, when he was feeling better and asked for ice cream, I had no good argument!

A lot of times, we are frightened, and we call out to God. We don’t understand what is happening to us, but He assures us that everything will be okay, and we trust this! I will admit, I trust Him more now than I did a few years ago… or even last week. It’s a learning process… and for some of us, the going is pretty slow!

As Timothy learns more words and phrases… as he grows in experience and using his imagination to understand things he cannot physically see and touch… he understands more and more… and he trusts us to tell him the truth and give him good instruction. And he is eager to learn.

Wouldn’t it be great if we had the hunger and eagerness of a toddler for the things of God?! What if we approached God with the attitude that anything was possible… even ice cream at 6:30 a.m.! What if we allowed Him to show us what we could and could not do… and why… and trusted His choices and rules! Why aren’t we hungrier for the things of God? Isn’t it time we looked at this passage and made it our prayer for the day… a sincere desire to learn all that God wants us to do… and a request for help to do exactly that?

What are you waiting for? What is keeping you from becoming all that you can be in your walk with God? Are you growing daily in His knowledge and wisdom… eager to learn more about Him and His plan for your life? Isn’t it time you began?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: