Daily Devotional for October 27, 2011

Psalm 121:5-8
The LORD is your protector, there at your right side to shade you from the sun. You won't be harmed by the sun during the day or by the moon at night. The LORD will protect you and keep you safe from all dangers. The LORD will protect you now and always wherever you go.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I have very pale skin… so pale that in certain clothing and colors, people have actually asked me if I was feeling well! So I enjoyed many years of having a nice tan… until the day I found a spot on my collarbone. The doctor assured me it was probably nothing, as he sliced it off and sent it to a lab for evaluation. He called a few days later to say, “You were right to come see me. That was pre-cancerous… we got it just in time.” My deliberate tanning days were over.

This summer, my husband and I took a day trip to Mtn. View on the July 4th weekend. We walked through the craft village at the Ozark Folk Center on a very hot, sunny afternoon. I would say we spent less than 2 hours dashing from one air conditioned building to another to observe the crafters. That night when we got home, I noticed I was sporting a little sunburn that outlined where my shirt had hung. Just stepping out unprotected into the bright sunlight for a few minutes between buildings had exposed me to the dangers of the harmful rays and burned my skin.

Think about this for a minute… imagine venturing out into the world without the protection of God. If we try to make it on our own… away from God’s amazing grace and care, we are leaving room for the devil to make all sorts of inroads. And just as a few minutes in the sun left me vulnerable to a burn… even a few minutes without God’s protection leaves you wide open for all sorts of trouble.

God wants to be our shield night and day. He loves us and wants to care for us like an SPF50 sunscreen. But we have to invite Him to do so. We have to want His protection. He will not force Himself upon us.

I know we don’t want to hear this, but avoiding direct sunlight on our skin (i.e. tanning) is a good idea. I have to remember to apply sunscreen when I think I will be outside… and frankly, as we lose more and more ozone, a daily dose – just in case - is a good idea. It’s the same with God… don’t leave home without His protection. Better yet, wear it all the time! And remember to thank Him for his around-the-clock care and vigilance on your behalf. Are you protected today?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: