Daily Devotional for October 31, 2011

John 15:11-17
I have told you this to make you as completely happy as I am. Now I tell you to love each other, as I have loved you. The greatest way to show love for friends is to die for them. And you are my friends, if you obey me. Servants don't know what their master is doing, and so I don't speak to you as my servants. I speak to you as my friends, and I have told you everything that my Father has told me.

You did not choose me. I chose you and sent you out to produce fruit, the kind of fruit that will last. Then my Father will give you whatever you ask for in my name. So I command you to love each other.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Do you remember when you were in elementary school – or maybe even older – and you played games that involved choosing teams? Were you ever the last person chosen… or somewhere near the bottom? Do you remember how that felt? It was as if nobody wanted you, yet someone had to take you for their team, and the feeling of being unwanted was uncomfortable at best – and possibly quite miserable.

I hate to tell you, but we do this all the time as Christians. We say we love everyone… but then we treat some people well – and others like dirt under our feet. We are quite eager to minister to one family who is in need, sick, or hurting… but another in our immediate “circle of friends” is completely ignored. It even happens in families… we treat those we like kindly, but those we find hard to love or who don’t agree with all of our viewpoints are given the cold shoulder – or even treated rudely and with disdain. I’m afraid on any given day, a lot of us who claim to be Disciples of Christ are anything but a friend to many in our midst!

I hope you will read this passage several times. Let it soak in that Jesus is a friend to all of us. Yes, He is our master, but He does not lord that over us… He clearly says that He considers us more than servants... we are friends! We are so undeserving of this love and kindness… yet Jesus showers us with His friendship. Doesn’t it make sense that we should offer this to others? If we are to truly serve Jesus… be His Disciples… bear good fruit… shouldn’t we follow His example?

Think about the people in your path today… and those on the outskirts. Think about choosing “Team Jesus” and how you make those feel as you make your selections. Does the last person chosen feel just as loved and valued as the first? Isn’t this how it should be? Where do you need to make adjustments in your attitude and the way you treat others today? Ask God to show you how to do this… and love others as Jesus loves us. Bear good fruit in His name… and trust God to bless you with friends who love you unconditionally, as well.

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: