Daily Devotional for October 6, 2011

Psalm 117
Praise GOD, everybody! Applaud GOD, all people!
His love has taken over our lives; GOD's faithful ways are eternal.
Hallelujah!

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

One day recently, I picked up my great-nephew Timothy at daycare and told him, “We’re going to see your cousins, Owen and Olivia!” He was thrilled and began to tell me how he was going to give “big hugs” and kisses when he saw them. Then as we drove along, he said, “DebDeb, I so happy! Are Oooo happy?” I assured him that when he is happy… yes, I am very happy! This little 2-year-old caught me off guard with his “applause.” Quite often, without any prompting, he will say “Thank you” for everything from handing him a toy to a cup of milk or juice to “letting” him brush his teeth. At such a young age, Timothy already knows how to lavish love on us… how to praise us and make us feel like we are on top of the world.

As I thought about our traveling conversation, I wondered… “How often do I lavish love on God? When was the last time I told Him how happy I am that His love has taken over my life… that His faithful ways are eternal, and I praise Him for this? How long has it been since I applauded God for His presence in my life and His mighty works in general?” I have to admit, I find plenty of time to tell God what I need… but far less to tell Him how glad I am that He shows up every minute of the day for me.

When was the last time you praised God for His presence in your life… or anything else, for that matter? Have you, in essence, said, “Father, I’m so happy… are You happy with me?” Isn’t today a good day to take a page from a toddler? Isn’t it time we fully acknowledged and glorified the One who makes everything possible in our lives?

Today is a great day to give God a big round of applause. The collective roar of our praise should be deafening to His ears! Let’s all stand and clap together now… shall we?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: