Daily Devotional for October 9, 2011

John 11:24-27
Martha answered, "I know that he will be raised to life on the last day, when all the dead are raised." Jesus then said, "I am the one who raises the dead to life! Everyone who has faith in me will live, even if they die. And everyone who lives because of faith in me will never really die. Do you believe this?"

"Yes, Lord!" she replied. "I believe that you are Christ, the Son of God. You are the one we hoped would come into the world."

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Twelve years ago today, my dad left this earth for heaven. He was only 63. Not a day goes by that I don’t miss him… and others dear to me who have died and gone to Heaven. But when I think of how sick he was… how miserable his last months on earth were, and how he longed for Heaven and the presence of God, my brother and other loved ones… I wouldn’t wish him back for anything.

I hear people say, “I would give anything for one more day with my loved one.” And I understand this. But I also understand that they probably would not care to have another day with us, because Heaven is so glorious! In his book, 90 Minutes in Heaven, pastor Don Piper tells of asking God over and again, “Why did you send me back?” He “died” in a horrible car wreck and experienced the glory of Heaven… and he badly wanted to stay there. Of course, God used Don Piper in amazing ways to minister to others who had suffered horrendous injuries similar to his. Only he could understand their pain and agony, and he was able to be a great comfort and encouragement to many.

In returning to earth and serving as God desired, Don Piper was the spitting image of someone who lived because of faith in God. And he will never really “die,” because someday he truly will return to Heaven to live in opulence and great comfort with others who have passed before him.

I like to think that our loved ones are not “gone” – they are just “relocated.” We will see them again, if we put our faith in Jesus Christ, as they did. Meanwhile, we have “living” to do on this earth… faith-filled living in Jesus Christ… serving Him, loving Him, and sharing His gospel with everyone we encounter. When I say I “plan to live forever,” I don’t mean that I will never physically die. But I’m with Martha… I believe that Christ is the one we hoped would come into the world… and I plan to relocate to His heavenly home someday. Will you be joining us?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: