Daily Devotional for October 7, 2011

Psalm 118:14-17
My power and my strength come from the LORD, and he has saved me. From the tents of God's people come shouts of victory: "The LORD is powerful! With his mighty arm the LORD wins victories! The LORD is powerful!" And so my life is safe, and I will live to tell what the LORD has done.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I never know where God will lead me for inspiration as I write these devotionals. In recent months, I’ve pretty much written them one at a time, rather than writing several in advance… trusting God each day to show me what I need to share. Today is no exception. I found this scripture passage, then walked away to pray and consider what I should write as commentary. God led me to the piano, where I keep a book my mother gave me one year for Christmas. It is titled “Then Sings My Soul” and contains 300 of the world’s greatest hymns, along with a commentary about each and how it was written.

I thumbed through and the page opened to a hymn I have always loved, based on 2 Timothy 1:12 – “I Know Whom I Have Believed.” The back story explained how Major Daniel Webster Whittle enlisted in the 72nd Illinois Infantry when the Civil War began. He was seriously injured in the Battle of Vicksburg and lost an arm. Out of boredom, Whittle picked up a New Testament and began to read. He considered inviting Jesus to be his Savior, but drifted off to sleep. An orderly woke him and asked him to pray with a POW who was dying. Whittle declined, and the orderly told him that he assumed Whittle was a Christian, because… “I have seen you reading your Bible.” At that moment, Whittle did confess his sins to Jesus and invited Him into his heart. Then he knelt and prayed with the POW, rising to see that the young boy had died, but his once-troubled face was peaceful. Whittle recognized the power of God to use him to lead this young man to trust Jesus for himself and find peace and pardon. Later, he penned this hymn to express his own faith.

So often, we fail to recognize the power and strength of God in our daily lives… the ability He gives us to do all things – from the simple to the extraordinary. We miss opportunities to convey the safety of trusting God to claim victory over sin in our lives – and to give us tremendous comfort and care.

Today, as you read the words of this beautiful hymn, claim victory in Jesus for yourself. Recognize the strength and power of God in your life… His desire and ability to conquer all challenges and sins - and give you total victory. Know Whom you have believed… and be persuaded that He is able to keep that which you have committed to Him forever and ever.

    I Know Whom I Have Believed
     Daniel W. Whittle, pub.1883 - now public domain

    I know not why God’s wondrous grace
    To me He hath made known,
    Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
    Redeemed me for His own.

    I know not how this saving faith
    To me He did impart,
    Nor how believing in His Word
    Wrought peace within my heart.

    I know not how the Spirit moves,
    Convincing men of sin,
    Revealing Jesus through the Word,
    Creating faith in Him.

    I know not what of good or ill
    May be reserved for me,
    Of weary ways or golden days,
    Before His face I see.

    I know not when my Lord may come,
    At night or noonday fair,
    Nor if I walk the vale with Him,
    Or meet Him in the air.

    Refrain:
    But “I know Whom I have believed,
    And am persuaded that He is able
    To keep that which I’ve committed
    Unto Him against that day.”

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: