Daily Devotional for October 21, 2011

John 14:1-7
Jesus said to his disciples, "Don't be worried! Have faith in God and have faith in me. There are many rooms in my Father's house. I wouldn't tell you this, unless it was true. I am going there to prepare a place for each of you. After I have done this, I will come back and take you with me. Then we will be together. You know the way to where I am going." Thomas said, "Lord, we don't even know where you are going! How can we know the way?"

"I am the way, the truth, and the life!" Jesus answered. "Without me, no one can go to the Father. If you had known me, you would have known the Father. But from now on, you do know him, and you have seen him."

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

A few years ago, a major shift in my life occurred. It seemed like as many – or more – people in my immediate “circle” were in heaven than here on earth. If I stop and list all of the close family members and friends who died within a span of five years or so, I’m overwhelmed… and it may be much the same for you and your circle of loved ones. When I was in my teens or twenties, this would have probably been incredibly devastating for me. In my mid-to-late thirties and forties, the “shock” was easier to absorb.

What shifted, besides my age – and possibly my maturity level? The answer for me is this… I had gotten to know the Father better. All of my life, I heard others quote the first part of this passage. I knew that Jesus returned to heaven to “get my mansion ready.” But this really didn’t comfort me much. That sounded great – when I was ninety! But I was young, full of life… and not ready to die… and I didn’t want to “lose” anyone dear to me, either.

Now I understand so much more about how God’s plans for us are supposed to work. I didn’t get this by lightning strike or a bump on the head… this understanding came to me through prayer, Bible study, meditation on God’s word, and fellowship with other believers… and lots of all of it! When we become Christians, we don’t instantly “get it” – we have to cultivate our relationship with God – and our understanding of His plans for us. And we must continue to work on this every day!

A few years ago I attended the funeral of a man who had died at a fairly young age after a tortuous battle with cancer. The pastor who conducted his funeral said that people talk about those they have “lost”. We say, “I’m sorry for your loss” when we console those who are grieving. The pastor reminded us that we didn’t truly lose these loved ones – if they are Christians, we know exactly where they are… and quite frankly, they are living the high life!

Do not misunderstand me. This doesn’t give you license to console others with trite phrases like, “It’s God’s will,” or “They are in a better place” … or “He/she is better off than we are!” God wants us to comfort others with His love and peace… but to temper it with grace and mercy. Grieving people are hurting. Yes, we do feel a sense of loss… the person we loved and cared about is no longer with us. But somehow, knowing that they have relocated to Jesus’ heavenly home… and a room is being prepared for us there, also… is incredibly meaningful to me these days.

My grandmother will celebrate her 99th birthday on November 5th. She told me recently that she has been asking God to take her home. She is tired and weary, feeling poorly… and ready for her heavenly mansion and the company of Jesus and those she has missed so dearly. Others have told me that they encourage her to “Keep going!”… “Hang in there!”… “Don’t give up!” I have simply told her that I promise to be happy for her when God has her room ready. I know that she knows the Father… and so do I… and this makes all the difference in my perspective.

My question for you is, “How well do YOU know the Father? Do you have His peace and comfort in all situations? Are you fearful of your ‘next home’ – or excited about the move someday?” I am not asking if you have a death wish… I’m asking if you know the “peace that passes all understanding.” Do YOU know Jesus…The Way to your heavenly home? May I introduce you?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: