Daily Devotional for October 8, 2011

John 10:14
I am the good shepherd. I know my sheep, and they know me. Just as the Father knows me, I know the Father, and I give up my life for my sheep. I have other sheep that are not in this sheep pen. I must bring them together too, when they hear my voice. Then there will be one flock of sheep and one shepherd.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

On a recent episode of Project Runway, a contestant lost her money for materials somewhere in the fabric store. She had nothing to purchase her fabric, thread and other materials with… and her advisor said, “You can use muslin from the workroom.” Muslin is a very plain, unbleached cotton material… usually used for linings and to shape a garment – not as actual fabric. The contestant was crying and upset, and another contestant who did not spend all of his money gave her what he had left… $11 and some change.

The contestant took the money and bought a little fabric and a zipper. Then she dyed muslin and added it to her small amount of fabric to construct a garment. In the end, she won the competition for the week! Ironically, the next week, when another contestant asked if she had any leftover fabric she could share, this person lied and said she did not. “After all,” she said, “this is a competition. At this stage of the game, I don’t feel I should be helping someone else.”

I’m afraid we are often just like this contestant. We’re all about helping others when it is convenient or feels good. And surely we want God to help us when we call on Him. But once we have what we want, we’re often done. We don’t think about ministering to others and sharing with them what God has done for us. We never consider that there are people who don’t know about the love, grace and mercy of Jesus… and that we must tell them – and witness to them!

This is what I believe Jesus means when he says I have other sheep not in the pen… and I must bring them together, too. We are all in this together. We must seek out those in need and help them. We must live in such a way that any who are “not in the pen” see how God is working in and through us… and want to join us and experience a life in Christ for themselves.

Unlike Project Runway, Christian life is not a competition. The stakes are high… but not in the same way. How will you participate? Are you one of Jesus’ sheep in the pen? Are you helping Him gather others to join you by your examples and ministries? Are you striving to emulate the Good Shepherd? Shouldn’t you?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: