Daily Devotional for October 26, 2011

Psalm 121:1-4
I look to the hills! Where will I find help? It will come from the LORD, who created the heavens and the earth. The LORD is your protector, and he won't go to sleep or let you stumble. The protector of Israel doesn't doze or ever get drowsy.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

When I was a little girl, one of my favorite stories was The Elves and the Shoemaker by the Brothers Grimm. In this story, elves visited the shop of a very poor shoemaker and his wife each night and created beautiful shoes for them to sell. In return, the shoemaker and his wife made beautiful clothes for the little elves.

Haven’t we all wished we had elves to come in at night and do our work for us and make everything beautiful by morning? When I awoke today and looked across the fiery hillside below our house, I thought, “God was surely up all night!” It was as if He spent the entire evening with a brush and a palette of oranges, reds, yellows and more… painting away on the trees outside our back door!

But God is no magical elf! While He often works in the background…making things better for us as the elves did for the shoemaker and his wife… the wonderful gifts and blessings that God bestows on us create riches far beyond money and material things. And the power and might of our Heavenly Father are far above and beyond mere magic!

As I looked at the hillside and valley this morning, I thought of the first verse of this passage… I considered the strength and protection God bestows on me every day… and how He never sleeps (which reminded me of the little Grimm fairy tale!). I was humbled, and blessed, to see that God not only blesses us and cares for our every need… He does it with astounding beauty and finesse!

Today, I hope your “take away” from this passage is that God cares for us beyond what we could ever imagine. I hope you remember that He never sleeps. And one more thing… as the shoemakers gave the elves new clothing, we should give back to God as much as we can - to the best of our abilities. We should be so grateful for His abundance that we are eager to do all we can for Him in return. We can never repay God – and that’s not the point! But we can do our best to show Him how much we appreciate His amazing generosity.

Look around today – look “to the hills” and up at the beautiful trees and the colors of fall – and remember Who is up all night and day caring for each of us. Take time to thank God for His love and care… go about your day with confidence that He is in complete control… and know that all will be well.

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: