Daily Devotional for January 10, 2016

Isaiah 43:1-7
But now the Lord who created you, O Israel, says: Don’t be afraid, for I have ransomed you; I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up—the flames will not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, your Savior, the Holy One of Israel. I gave Egypt and Ethiopia and Seba to Cyrus in exchange for your freedom, as your ransom. Others died that you might live; I traded their lives for yours because you are precious to me and honored, and I love you.

Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. I will gather you from east and west, from north and south. I will bring my sons and daughters back to Israel from the farthest corners of the earth. All who claim me as their God will come, for I have made them for my glory; I created them.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

My mother is mostly sleeping now, and several family members have gathered to sit with us and help as needed…including my niece, Jasmine.  This is her Granny…the woman who has nurtured and loved her unendingly for all of her 25+ years.  I found Jasmine in her Granny’s office, sitting at Mother’s desk and reading a book.  She said, “I knew this had to be here, and it was right on top of a stack of books.”  If you know my mother, you know that her desk is stacked and laden with books, papers, notes and all sorts of important “stuff!” (I should talk!  I am my mother’s daughter!)

The “book” that Jasmine found was her journal…or rather, a hand-written journal that my mother has kept for my niece since 1992.  She didn’t write in it EVERY day, but on a regular basis, Mother wrote her thoughts to Jasmine – about anything and everything – but especially about her Christian faith. And the entries are as recent as the end of October 2015. There is an entry for the day Mother learned that she had cancer…and another as she prepared for chemotherapy. 

There was also an entry for one day in October in which Mother stated that “you are not to worry.”  She cited these beginning verses in Isaiah 43. Through this journal, my mother is still comforting us…even today, as she slips away from us and can no longer speak directly to us.  And these words are comforting!

If I substitute my mother’s name – or my own – for the word “you,” the image is profound. “Don’t be afraid, for I have ransomed Arline; I have called Arline by name; she is mine. When Arline goes through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with her. When Debbie goes through rivers of difficulty, she will not drown! When Debbie walks through the fire of oppression, she will not be burned up—the flames will not consume her.”  Take these verses and insert your own name.  Let the comfort and assurance of God’s love and care penetrate the depths of your heart.  Listen to the words of my mother, and remind yourself that “you are not to worry.”

This morning, my cousin said “Good-bye” to my mother and traveled to his home, some four hours away. As he left, I hugged him closely and told him that we are going to be okay…that Jesus has us securely in His hands. “Remember this!” I told him.  His response was, “You, too!”  I assured him that I will…that my hope in Jesus is all that keeps me going.

I’m so glad that Jasmine found the journal.  I know that my mother has written from her heart…and that her thoughts and words were guided by the Holy Spirit.  They will have profound meaning for Jasmine and her children…just as my cousin’s visit with my mother will impact him from this day forward.

I pray that you will take these verses to heart and make them part of your hope…that you will trust in Jesus to see you through deep waters and great trouble.  Remember that “you are not to worry,” and trust God to hold you securely in His hands – this day…and always.


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: