Daily Devotional for January 25, 2016

Psalm 111:10   
How can men be wise? The only way to begin is by reverence for God. For growth in wisdom comes from obeying his laws. Praise his name forever.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

I lost a fellow classmate to breast cancer in 1994. Sandra and I were not all that close in high school, but as adults, we became better friends – particularly as she fought her illness and drew close to death.  When she passed, mutual classmates lamented that they didn’t know what to say or do…so many chose not to do or say anything.  Somehow, that didn’t seem like a viable option to me.

When my brother passed in 1998…and my dad followed him to heaven thirteen months later, I noticed that a lot of people chose the option of disappearing.  I wasn’t necessarily keeping score, but it was sad to greet a close friend in public and feel their discomfort…or to hear him/her say, “I didn’t call or come by because I didn’t know how to respond to you.” 

So I wrote a little booklet…
What to Say and Do…When You Don’t Know What to Say and Do*.  Understand that I do not have all the answers – didn’t then, and don’t today!  But I trusted God to show me how to explain in written word some of the things that are helpful – and hurtful – when responding to others.  This applies to both times of sadness, illness, death and sorrow – and even happier times that often go unrecognized.

One of the things I discovered in this process was how God will always equip us with the right things to say and do - in any and every circumstance - if only we will listen for His voice.  If we say to someone “I’m sorry” with the love of Christ in our heart for that person, this compassion will be conveyed…and the simplicity of these two words will be magnified to mean so much more.  If we show up when God prompts us…and allow Him to give us the words and expressions of love and sympathy (or enthusiasm for a happy time)...everyone involved will receive a blessing – and God will be glorified.

The wisdom of the LORD is a precious gift that can only be obtained by listening for His voice and staying attuned to His word and commands.  Are you listening today?  When the time comes to reach out to someone in the name of Jesus, will you be equipped to say and do the right things?  Don’t you think it’s time you were?

     
©2016 Debbie Robus

*What to Say and Do…When You Don’t Know What to Say and Do ~ ©2003 Debbie Robus ~ http://auntdebsattic.blogspot.com ~ Proceeds from all sales go directly to Hospice.

No comments: