Daily Devotional for January 23, 2016

Proverbs 3:7-12
Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
    don’t try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
    he’s the one who will keep you on track.
Don’t assume that you know it all.
    Run to God! Run from evil!
Your body will glow with health,
    your very bones will vibrate with life!
Honor God with everything you own;
    give him the first and the best.
Your barns will burst,
    your wine vats will brim over.
But don’t, dear friend, resent God’s discipline;
    don’t sulk under his loving correction.
It’s the child he loves that God corrects;
    a father’s delight is behind all this.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

Today would be the 67th birthday of Greg’s brother, Bruce, who died on December 31st, 2015.  This cold, sunny morning, we visited his grave site for the first time…along with Greg’s mother.  We also went to the cemetery where my mother was buried 11 days later. If you had told me even a month ago that we would bury these two loved ones so soon, I would have said you were crazy.  And yet…here we are.

One of these days, I will stop talking about grief and our recent losses…I promise.  But several of you are “in the trenches” along with us right now, and I hope that my insights are helpful – for all of us.  Our emotions are still extremely raw…our grief is still profound.  And try as I might to squelch these feelings, I cannot.

When I turn to scripture, I see that there is every reason to experience grief – and no reason to try to suppress it.  To do so suggests that we have this all figured out on our own…that we don’t need the guidance and comfort of God…that we know it all!  And nothing could be further from the truth.

Psalm 94:19 says, “And when I was burdened with worries, you comforted me and made me feel secure.”(CEV)  Psalm 142:1-3 says “I cry out loudly to God, loudly I plead with God for mercy. I spill out all my complaints before him, and spell out my troubles in detail: “As I sink in despair, my spirit ebbing away, you know how I’m feeling, know the danger I’m in, the traps hidden in my path.”(MSG)  And later in that same Psalm, verse 7 ends with this…“Your people will form a circle around me and you’ll bring me showers of blessing!”

God is showing us things, even in our grief and sadness. He is not punishing us. He is ushering us into more of a dependency on Him…demonstrating His strength and ability to comfort and make sense of our confusion. As we find ourselves wandering aimlessly through the day, God keeps us on track. Several times in the last couple of weeks, I’ve looked back and wondered how on earth I accomplished what I did in the state in which I have been. I know instantly that I did not do these things – God did!

So I am learning not to run from these feelings, weird and uncomfortable though they may be.  I am trusting God to sort it all out – and in HIS timing!  I am believing that He will give me a sense of direction and purpose again…heal my heart and soul – and even make me stronger because of all of this.  I pray that you are allowing God to do the same work in your life.  Whether you are grieving the loss of loved ones or working through something else, God wants to determine your course – and keep you on it.  Will you allow Him to do this?  Shouldn’t you?

   
©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: