Daily Devotional for January 6, 2016

Proverbs 10:27
Reverence for God adds hours to each day; so how can the wicked expect a long, good life?

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

While my mom dozed today, I looked through family photos.  Mother has dozens of photo albums, filled with photos of the people she loves - or loved - the most…relatives, friends, students, people she met while traveling.  It doesn’t seem fair that there will not be more albums to fill and memories to create.  After all, doesn’t this scripture passage imply that those who have reverence for God will live longer?  By that benchmark, my mother should be on this earth for many more decades or more!

I think of all of the people Mother has known and loved in her 76+ years…and I look at the comments and messages I have received in the last week about her life and her Godly influence on others…and I realize that this passage is not really about quantity - it’s about quality.

Those who are “wicked” may indeed live to be 100 or more.  They may appear to “skate by” unscathed in life, while those who revere God and serve Him well struggle and suffer…or have their earthly lives cut short.  But that’s where some of us get it all wrong. It’s not about THIS life…but rather, what we build for eternity!  And in that regard, my mother has been plenty busy creating something amazing.  Someone wrote to her today that the trip on which she is about to embark will far surpass any travels she ever took in her RV!  And I believe that wholeheartedly.

Someone shared a meme with me on Facebook that said something to the effect of “I asked the Lord why He gave me so much troubled water, and He said…’because your enemies cannot swim.’”  When we revere and respect God – and fully serve Him with faith and obedience – our lives may not be trouble-free, or lengthy.  But our eternal life and legacy will be something truly incredible…far beyond what we can ever imagine.  And isn’t that the ultimate goal?  Shouldn’t it be?

Earthly life is not about how many years we have…but what we do with them.  What are you building for Eternitya?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: