Daily Devotional for January 7, 2016

Psalm 46:1
God is our refuge and strength, a tested help in times of trouble.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Today a social worker from Hospice visited with us.  She was here to get acquainted with us and basically to make sure that we were all okay as a family.  She asked my mother how she was doing, and Mother assured her that she was trusting God.  She said, “I know that God is taking care of this."

When my mother was first diagnosed with cancer in September, she e-mailed me and said, “I have a serious problem, Debbie. The tests show cancer markers. This is going to be OK—no matter what. Just going to be a battle ahead.”  The battle has come…and my mother is smack in the middle of it!

The GOOD NEWS is that cancer is not winning.  From the very first diagnosis, my mother has said, “Either way, this will all be okay.”  And she is right.  Because my mother’s refuge does not lie in successful chemotherapy treatments or some miracle cure at a reputable facility.  Her “tested help” does not have “M.D.” after his/her name.

My mother is relying on Almighty God to work things out according to His will…on HIS timetable.  And it doesn’t look like He intends for her to hang out with us much longer.  This morning, a dear friend texted my mother a message.  Another woman she knows is also battling ovarian cancer.  She wrote of this friend and my mother…”Your mom and my dear special friend have packed her [Mom’s] RV for a new journey. She doesn’t need a map or a GPS thing. The road has been ready for her trip for a long time. What gives me comfort and peace is GOD is in the driver’s seat!  Instead of a seat belt, she has on her angel’s wings. The highway is paved in gold, and Heaven is singing, “Coming Home!”

If that doesn’t describe a “beautiful refuge” and “tested help in times of trouble,” I’m not sure what would.  My prayer for you today is that YOU know this Refuge…that YOU trust Him to be your “tested help in times of trouble.”  I pray that nothing is too big for God to solve for you…that you know that all will be okay, no matter what happens. 

It’s a beautiful thing to go headlong into battle knowing that God is leading the way.  Are you secure in that faith today? Isn’t it time you were?

©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: