Daily Devotional for January 17, 2016

Proverbs 14:26-27
Reverence for God gives a man deep strength; his children have a place of refuge and security.

Reverence for the Lord is a fountain of life; its waters keep a man from death.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

We all worried this last week about how our three little ones - Timothy, Zola and Nathan - would handle my mother’s death.  Ever since my grandmother died in March 2013, Timothy has assumed that anyone who was sick or old would die.  It happened to Mam-ma Polly…my mother’s dog, Spot…my sister’s dog, Wrinkles…and our cat, Lucy.  So anytime someone is sick – or we mention that “I’m just old,” - Timothy asks, “Are you going to die?”

Given that reference, we really didn’t know what to expect with the children.  They knew that Granny had been sick for a few months…but they had no clue what cancer was or how seriously ill she had become. My niece brought the children to visit Mother at home when she went on Hospice care, and they were apprehensive at first about approaching her hospital bed.  But one-by-one, they “warmed up” and came around to talk to her.  I think Zola even had someone lift her up to kiss my mother.

But what happened when Mother passed was a beautiful thing.  The children were sad when their mother told them.  But they did not fall apart.  When we viewed Mother’s body, each child readily accepted that Granny was dead.  They didn’t spend a lot of time with her, but they each patted her hand – and again, Zola gave her a kiss.  They were not afraid at all. 

In the days that followed, the children played in my mother's back yard – and at the cemetery - with the abandon of happy children.  At the visitation and celebration service for her life, they sat quietly and respectfully.  Once while we were greeting those in attendance, Timothy stood with me and held my hand.  Several around us were standing arm-in-arm, and all of a sudden, I felt this little arm wrap around my legs, just under my backside.  Timothy was putting HIS arm around me, also.  I cannot count the times that little 6-year-old boy came to comfort me as I greeted people in the visitation line.

As Mother’s service drew to a close, Zola got down from the lap of a cousin and moved to the front pew, where she crawled into the lap of my mother’s husband, Lee.  She snuggled against him, and then she turned, held his face in hers, and gave him a kiss.  I saw his entire demeanor completely soften and relax in that sweet moment.  It was just what he needed.

My mother would have loved all of this.  She would have readily agreed that we have created a place of refuge and security for these children in our demonstrations of respect and reverence for God.  We have begun to lay a firm foundation for each of them about who God is and how He loves each of us.  They know about heaven…and maybe even better than we grownups, they understand that it is a glorious place where we hope to all end up someday.  There is nothing to fear…about death, heaven, or God.  The children already understand how amazing He is…and we are teaching them to honor Him with admiration and esteem in all things.

Our three little ones are reminders that life goes on…that as much as we miss my mother and others who have received their heavenly reward, we know they wouldn’t come back for all the tea in China…and we wouldn’t want them to!  The “death” that this scripture refers to is not our earthly passing into Eternity with Jesus…but rather that of ending up in the darkest pit of hell as far away from Him as possible.  Our prayer is that this would never happen to anyone!

My mother left a legacy of faith, strength and reverence for God that will hopefully transfer to future generations…a promise of Eternity in the presence of God Almighty forever and ever.  Our job is to live in such a way we perpetuate this legacy and give our children a secure refuge that offers them the hope of Heaven, as well.

My question to you this day is…how are you doing?  What – and WHO – do others see when they look at you?  Are you living in a way that demonstrates the joy and hope of Heaven? Are you showing others that a life in Christ represents a place of refuge and security?   Isn’t it time you were?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: