Daily Devotional for January 28, 2016

Psalm 119:33-40   
God, teach me lessons for living
    so I can stay the course.
Give me insight so I can do what you tell me—
    my whole life one long, obedient response.
Guide me down the road of your commandments;
    I love traveling this freeway!
Give me a bent for your words of wisdom,
    and not for piling up loot.
Divert my eyes from toys and trinkets,
    invigorate me on the pilgrim way.
Affirm your promises to me—
    promises made to all who fear you.
Deflect the harsh words of my critics—
    but what you say is always so good.
See how hungry I am for your counsel;
    preserve my life through your righteous ways!

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

This morning, Greg’s mother called and told us about an estate sale in a neighborhood near hers.  She wanted us to drive over and see all of the wonderful “treasures” for sale.  At one time, I would have been “all in!” I love a good estate sale, and when I was reselling items online and at a local antiques store, this would have really gotten me excited.  But today, all I could think of was, “It’s just stuff.”

I know this is in large part because of our present circumstances.  I have been sorting through things with my family that my mother wanted me to have…and the items she wanted my sister, my niece and me to divide amongst us.  I spent two months last winter clearing every closet and drawer in my house of clutter and “stuff” – for our benefit, and to save someone else from having to do it someday.  And now I find myself bringing in more “things.”

We will get through this…it happens to everyone who loses a loved one.  But what I really want to focus on right now is my family…and the faith in God that sustains me…not the “stuff.”  I know what really matters…and it’s not Aunt Susie’s butter dish or Grandma’s diamond ring.  Yes, there are items that hold great memories for us…things that are sentimental and significant.  But they are only representations of the person who owned them – and our relationship with him/her is what truly matters.

This is a good reminder for us not to get caught up in things that don’t aren’t really important.  It’s not about the “stuff” – but rather the person behind those items.  It’s not about the physical things...what matters is our relationship with God and how we are allowing Him to use us. 

And one more thing…it’s also not about what others think.  I will admit that I have been beating myself up a bit because I do not feel emotionally strong enough at this point to attend worship…much less a funeral service or visitation – even for a dear friend.  I have questioned how this reflects my claim to trust in God completely and exercise great faith. I received a card in the mail from my fourth grade teacher, who is also a close friend to my family.  She gently suggested that I give myself a break…that I take time to breathe - and heal…to let God wrap His arms around me and comfort me for a season.  This dependency on God actually IS a demonstration of faith!

This is good advice for a lot of situations where we rush to heal and get better too quickly…where we don’t take time to call on God to help us – and give Him time to do so!  Whatever you are experiencing today, know that God is with you.  He never leaves us.  Give Him space – and the time – to work in your life.  Clean out the clutter and focus on what is truly important.  God will help you to heal…He will help you get back on track when the time is right…and stay the course!  Aren’t you ready to let Him?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: