Daily Devotional for January 19, 2016

Proverbs 19:23
Showing respect to the Lord
    brings true life—
    if you do it, you can relax
    without fear of danger.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

One week ago this morning, the angels came for my mother and ushered her into Heaven.  We all knew my mother was battling cancer…a diagnosis she received in late September.  None of us wanted to believe that she would have such a short time left with us. On December 19th, we had no clue that one month later, Greg’s brother and sister-in-law would have been involved in a car crash that left the other driver dead and led to multiple surgeries for Greg’s brother – and his subsequent death ten days afterward.

In both instances, I distinctly felt a sense of fear and dread…not that these precious souls would die and leave us.  I knew that both of them were headed for Heaven – and a glorious Eternity in the presence of Jesus.  What stressed me was what might happen to them in the meantime…here…on earth.

From the day my mother was first diagnosed with cancer, my prayer and profound desire was that she not suffer…that she not become debilitated and emaciated…that she not endure tremendous pain and indignities that often come with this horrendous beast of a disease. I found myself asking God over and again to spare her these things…to protect her at every turn.

When my brother-in-law was scheduled to transfer to a rehab - where he would hopefully strengthen his body and fully recover so that he could go home and resume his daily living – I was concerned for his well-being.  How would he manage the rigid routine in his weakened condition?  How would he cope with the isolation from family members as he spent most hours of each day in exercise and therapy?

In both cases, I literally called out to God and said, “YOU have to fix this!  I cannot!  I surrender these situations completely to YOU, because they are far beyond my control – and I know that you love both of these people and want what is best for them.”  I had prayed a similar prayer when my dad suffered a paralyzing stroke after surgery that left him in danger of having both feet amputated. In his case, I knew that the only “solution” that made sense to me was for God to call him to heaven…and He did.  I don’t know that I truly considered this an “option” with my husband’s brother and my own mother.  But that is exactly what happened for them, as well.

My mother used to say that “Healing sometimes comes in death.” And she was right! While this is a hard pill for those of us left on this earth to swallow, there is a comfort in knowing that this “solution” was the perfect one for these three dear souls who truly loved the LORD. They are safe…they are whole…they are HOME…and they haven’t a care or a worry whatsoever.  As much as is humanly possible, our challenge is to operate in the same manner.  We may not be healthy and whole on this earth, but we can certainly feel safe, fearless, and confident in the care and protection of God Almighty.

I will not lie…our hearts are broken. I miss my brother-in-law and his quick wit.  I will miss his laugh.  Ever the typical “big brother,” I know that there were times that I exasperated him…but he was always in my corner.  And I miss my mother…especially her daily e-mails and our telephone talks.  I didn’t see her that often in the last several years. She traveled a lot and maintained a BUSY daily schedule.  But she would tell me, “I’m only a phone call away.”  Now, that “phone call” is a little beyond the realm of human possibility. I don’t know if/when I will ever adjust to that one!

Still, I find that for large chunks of the day, I am relaxed.  Nothing about these situations gives me fear or suggests danger or unrest.  For most of the time that my mother was ill and Greg’s brother was injured, I was what I described as “eerily calm.”  I knew this was God’s shield, protecting me from a wave of emotions that I could not handle.  When my brother-in-law died…and my mother entered the hospital - and then Hospice care - the “dam” broke.  Tears poured…often at the most inopportune times. But they have been healing and liberating…and God has comforted me even in those times of profound release.

What have I learned from this?  More powerfully than ever, I have learned to “let go and let God.”  There is NOTHING that He cannot handle…and He certainly does not need any input from me!  He is capable of executing all things.  MY JOB is to trust Him to do so…to respect His methods, His timing, and His impeccable attention to every detail.  As Mother’s pastor pointed out, we see a picture of how things are…but God’s picture is so much larger and broader – and far more grand.

Whatever is stressing you today…whatever challenges you face…whatever questions, worries, fears and frustrations you have – give them to God.  Trust that He has a bigger, better plan…that He can do what you cannot – and with complete perfection. “Let go and let God”…serve Him in all things and respect His sovereignty. Bask in the safety of His love and care and banish fear and dread from your life. God wants us to truly LIVE in Him…and we can’t do this if we are fearful and anxious.  How are YOU living these days?


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: