Daily Devotional for January 11, 2016

Psalm 118:5-6
Pushed to the wall, I called to God;
    from the wide open spaces, he answered.
God’s now at my side and I’m not afraid;
    who would dare lay a hand on me?

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.
 
“Pushed to the wall”…I would say that this is a good description of how my family members and I feel right now. When one comes to terms with the fact that a loved one has slipped away – and there is nothing that can be done – it’s a lot like being “pushed to the wall.”  And in that moment, most people do one of two things…they either cry out to God for help…or they cry to Him in frustration, anger and bitterness.

I totally get it.  I understand the frustration and fear of being “pushed to the wall”…the shear panic that sometimes sets in when troubles come.  I know that we all have moments when we want to cry out to God, “How could You allow this to happen?!”  But I also know that to do this flings the doors wide open for the enemy to enter.  If he can get us to doubt God for even a split second, the devil has the opportunity to wedge his foot in the door and start to rock it back and forth.  He will attempt to steal our joy and confidence in the LORD if we give him the opportunity.

Don’t let this happen!  Don’t ask God, “Why me?”  Ask Him, “What are Your plans for this situation?”  Call on God to clear a path for you to be able to step away from the wall…to give you breathing room and stand squarely by your side as a protective shield. 

Particularly in the last 24 hours, I have caught myself wanting to ask God why my mother’s spirit has not already soared away to Him.  Why is she still here, lying in what can at times be a fitful sleep…while she is, for all practical purposes, gone from us already?  I am “pushed to the wall,” and I wait for God to come to my side and shield me - and move me away from this adversity.  Very clearly, I have sensed God reminding me that my surrender to His will and timing over my own is required…that He is not punishing us in this test of our endurance and patience - He is strengthening our complete reliance on Him.

Call to God when you are “pushed to the wall.”  Trust His answers and operate in the confidence that He will protect you from all harm and hardship.  Rely fully on Him and surrender your own will to His.  “God’s now at my side and I’m not afraid; who would dare lay a hand on me?”  My prayer is that this would be your prayer this day – and always.


©2016 Debbie Robus

No comments: