Daily Devotional for November 1, 2015

Luke 12:22-31
Jesus said to his disciples:

I tell you not to worry about your life! Don’t worry about having something to eat or wear. Life is more than food or clothing. Look at the crows! They don’t plant or harvest, and they don’t have storehouses or barns. But God takes care of them. You are much more important than any birds. Can worry make you live longer? If you don’t have power over small things, why worry about everything else?

Look how the wild flowers grow! They don’t work hard to make their clothes. But I tell you that Solomon with all his wealth wasn’t as well clothed as one of these flowers. God gives such beauty to everything that grows in the fields, even though it is here today and thrown into a fire tomorrow. Won’t he do even more for you? You have such little faith!

Don’t keep worrying about having something to eat or drink. Only people who don’t know God are always worrying about such things. Your Father knows what you need. But put God’s work first, and these things will be yours as well.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

My first encounter with this directive from Jesus actually involved the account as recorded in Matthew 6:25-34.  Greg and I were engaged to be married in August 1974, and he was attending college in Little Rock.  I was set to join him there in the fall. But late in the spring semester, Greg realized that he wanted to make a change in his major field of study…one that was not offered at his present university.  He broke the news to me and showed me these verses from his pocket Gideon Bible.  And he explained that he was not worried…that this would all be okay.  The move to another university and city took a lot of work and finagling…but it also was the best plan for both of us.

Fast forward 13 years, and we once again considered a life-changing move - one that involved changing careers and cities.  And again, the words of Jesus echoed in our hearts and minds…”don’t worry about what you will eat, drink or wear.  God knows what you need, and He will see that you are cared for perfectly.”  And once again, this was the best plan for our lives.

I wish I could say that I have done a perfect job of trusting God with my worries…but none of us can say this.  We are all works in progress.  But I do find that it gets a little easier on any given day…and the times that I worry – and God shows me how powerful and capable He really is – I am embarrassed and humbled for doubting this for even one second!

So whatever is worrying you today, ask God to handle it.  Sometimes I simply say, “God, I cannot fix this, so you’re going to have to do it!”  I know fully well that this was His intention all along.  God needs to hear us say that we understand completely that He is in control…and we are not.  Won’t you ask Him to handle your worries and cares today…and start trusting Him to meet all of your needs, and more.  Isn’t this the perfect time to get started?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: