Daily Devotional for November 21, 2015

Romans 15:13
I pray that God, who gives hope, will bless you with complete happiness and peace because of your faith. And may the power of the Holy Spirit fill you with hope.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

You may not be old enough to know who “Samantha Stephens” was.  But when I was growing up, this character – played by the late Elizabeth Montgomery – was a friendly “witch” on a show aptly named “Bewitched.”  With just a wrinkle of her nose, Samantha could make all sorts of things happen!  And this time of year, I kinda wish I was her!  I look around at house cleaning that needs to be done and think of all of the things I will do in the next few weeks to prepare for and enjoy the holiday season, and I wish I could wrinkle my nose and make it all materialize instantly!

Since this probably ain’t happenin’, I continue to plug along…confident that everything will all be done that needs to be done – and the rest won’t matter.  I have made a commitment to enjoy these days with complete happiness and peace…to rest in the assurance that all will be well and each person who enters our home during the next seven weeks will find a spirit of hope and joy here.  And petty and smug as it sounds to say this, I know that the Holy Spirit will power my efforts and bring about a good outcome.

Yes, there are far more important things for God to concentrate on than whether or not I get the house clean and a Thanksgiving meal on the table.  Surely He is more concerned with the horrific tragedies of this world…sickness, suffering, and “real” problems than whether or not I get the presents wrapped, Christmas cards sent and cookies baked.  It is a far bigger deal that the hungry and homeless are fed and sheltered than whether our children’s Christmas program at church comes together well – or our kiddos have homemade Christmas outfits to wear for pictures with Santa!  And yet, God orchestrates all of these things just as swiftly and surely as He does the “big stuff!”

So today, I am hopeful…and at peace.  I know Who is in charge of everything from world events and human sickness and suffering…to how good the turkey will taste on Thanksgiving Day and my ability to “git ‘r done” with ample energy and stamina – and a joy-filled attitude!  And I pray that you feel this same power.  May God truly fill you with hope and peace today – and each day.  And if He sees fit to give me the ability to twitch my nose and make things happen like Samantha, I’ll take that, too!


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: