Daily Devotional for November 19, 2015

Psalm 56:3-4
But when I am afraid, I will put my confidence in you. Yes, I will trust the promises of God. And since I am trusting him, what can mere man do to me?

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

I’ve thought a lot over the last few days about how I would feel if I were one of those people lined up on the stage at the Bataclan concert hall in Paris and shot – or one of the people in the crowd who had to stand by and watch this unfold.  I’ve thought of the journalists who were forced to kneel and await their beheadings as terrorists created a video to share with the world…those who were in the schools, theaters and other public venues where mass shootings took place in recent years…and those who have heard a doctor say, “Medically, we’ve done all we can do for you.”

Would I be afraid?  Would I panic?  Would I want to scream and cry out, “NO!”…or would I even be able to speak?  Would my “life flash before my eyes” as some say?  Or would I slump my shoulders and raise my hands and say, “Here I am LORD…usher me Home.” 

I cannot say for sure how I would react – none of us can.  And this passage seems to indicate that momentary fear is a normal, human reaction.  But what follows makes all the difference…”when I am afraid, I will put my confidence in You.”  I love the question the Psalmist asks as a trusting believer – “What can mere man do to me?”…because it speaks directly to our Christian faith.  If we believe God when He promises to take care of us and meet all of our needs…how can we fear the words and actions of man – or even the devil?  If the outstretched arms of Jesus wait to enfold us in Heaven, how can we fear going there?  If we have been called to be Disciples and share the love of Christ with ALL people, how can we fear loving and nurturing people of all races, creeds, colors, ethnic groups, sexual orientations, and religious beliefs?

This is not about being naïve or throwing caution to the wind.  It’s about refusing to let the devil win by filling us with fear and worry.  My goodness…all I have to do is look at all that God has carried me through to see how crucial it is that I trust Him in all things!  His ways have ALWAYS been better than mine…His love and protection have ALWAYS been stronger and more powerful than any human’s.  And I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that He is not dropping His guard now!

Every single one of us has opportunities to be fearful and worrisome…but we also have a God who says, “I’ve got this!”  Isn’t it time we started believing Him?  Isn’t it time we started to do all we can to honor God’s commitment to us by committing to trust Him in return?  Will this be the day that you raise your hands toward Heaven and say, “I will put my confidence in You”…then live like you mean it?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: