Daily Devotional for November 18, 2015

Psalm 55:22
Give your burdens to the Lord. He will carry them. He will not permit the godly to slip or fall.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

A lifelong friend of mine watched her baby girl drive off for school this morning for the first time as the licensed operator of a motor vehicle.  I looked at the clock yesterday afternoon as a severe thunderstorm accompanied by a flash flood warning approached our community - and realized that our little Zola was on the school bus headed for home.  My mother will receive her third chemo treatment tomorrow.  The debate rages on about what to do about world issues, including the threats of terrorism and how to address the growing refugee crisis in Syria and other Middle Eastern countries.

This is only the tip of the iceberg.  Burdens, worries, and concerns abound for all of us.  And if that isn’t enough, let’s add the chaos and stress that surrounds the joy of the upcoming holidays!  How many are coming for Thanksgiving dinner?  What will we get Uncle Joe for Christmas? How can I be at the Christmas parties of three children when they are all being held at the same hour…and does that room mother really think I have time to make 30 Rudolph cupcakes?  Will I survive finals and the end of the semester and be able to enjoy a happy holiday break?  What will happen to all of the orphans, hungry and homeless who don’t have any hope of a Happy Thanksgiving or a Merry Christmas – or a stable life beyond the holiday season?

I often tell our children, “You have two choices…A or B.  But it’s your choice!”  And I am saying this to all of us today.  We have two choices…1) we can choose to live in worry, fear, dismay and despair, or 2) we can choose to trust God and give Him our burdens – ALL of them – and allow Him to orchestrate things according to His will.  It boils down to whether we want to demonstrate Christian faith – or not.

I don’t mean to be harsh…nor do I suggest that we toss caution to the wind and refrain from utilizing common sense.  I am careful to keep my doors locked.  I watch my purse when I shop.  I remind the children not to talk to strangers and to look both ways before crossing the street. I said a prayer for the safety of ALL who were trying to get home in the rain storm yesterday, and I pray continually for my mother and others who are ill, injured, grieving and/or suffering in some manner.  I am planning to enjoy the company around our table on Thanksgiving Day, whether the house is clean and the meal is perfectly cooked or not!  And I have vowed NOT to stress out over the hectic holiday schedule…and to focus on Jesus, family, and friends.

I want to be more present in the love, grace, mercy and protection of God…and less fearful, dubious, cynical and exclusive.  I want to look at others and recognize that God desires to carry THEIR burdens just as much as mine…and that He can – and WILL – do this!  I want to demonstrate more clearly what God is capable of in my life and the lives of others…and I want to operate in confidence that He’s always got my back.  And I’m starting here…now…today!  What about you?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: